Chapter 1 (Uploaded 01/18/2019)

My back hits the locker with a loud metallic bang. People are already gathering around anticipating a fight. Jake Harrison was good at getting into fights. He is the big bad wolf of Bayview highschool. His eyes are dark and I can see the bruising on his fists from his last fight, as he held me against the locker.

I will admit he is good looking, the way that he gets away with what he does is that he is good looking and his parents have money. He is tall and has short brown hair and a decent sized upper build.

I am brought out of my thoughts as I realize that he is not by himself today, as he usually is when he confronts me, today he has his entire group of friends with him. He isn't stupid though, he has noticed that the cliques in this small town school stood together like wild animals. The strongest eat the weak.

I have only been attending this school for three months and I knew who Jake was before I ever had the chance to irritate him. It was one day in class, no more than a month ago that I made Jake look stupid. Others knew immediately that I had made a mistake but I did not care. Jake Harrison is about as dangerous as a kitten dressed as a lion.

I glance around, noticing the people who were laughing and those who had their heads turned, afraid that they would be sharing my fate if the intervened. They have probably all grown up with this man, but I came from a place much different than this small town.

I came from a life much different.

Jake pulls me away from the locker and slams me back into it, earning a few laughs. He seems as if he has nothing to say, nothing else to really do to him, but when Jake's lips quirk up into a smirk, I feel curious as to what he will do next.

"Well, well, Aren't you going to try to fight me back, Hayden? Or could it be that you are too chicken because you know that I can kick your ass in front all of these people? That wouldn't be a very good first impression now, would it?" I smile back at him, cocky, as he was trying to make the others around him think that he was a badass.

"Last time I checked, you were just a moron, and I was the kid who corrected your mistake. Don't make the same error twice. Let me go or else I will show you what kind of an ass-kicking I can give you." The people around us let their jaws drop. I am guessing that not many people talk back to this neanderthal. I can't help the small chuckle that exits my lips.

Jake pulls me so I am face to face with him and slams me as hard as he can against the locker, winding me. I am just catching my breath when I hear a voice off to my left.

"Jake, knock it off, don't you think that you can go one day without trying to prove that you are the alpha male?" Jake looks towards the girl and I take my chance, prying his hands off of me. He lets me go for just a moment before he grasps my arms tightly.

"Jake!" Jake's attention snaps back to the girl and so does mine. I recognize her as Amelia Davis, a girl in a few of my classes. She is a class below mine but is advanced so she sits in on our classes. She is pretty and it surprised me that she was standing up for me, but only because she is the younger sister of Nathan Davis.

My eyes scan to the area behind Jake and I see Nathan as he leans against the wall, not bothering to get involved. I would go as far as to say that he looks bored.

I feel movement and look down, seeing that the girl is now grasping Jake's arm tightly, trying to pry it off of me. Suddenly I notice a shift in the atmosphere and look back to see that there is now a new intensity to Nathans stare.

He had met Nathan Davis not long after beginning to attend the school. It was rare for a new student to show up in this school apparently because everybody had wanted to speak to me or hate me. I was trying to maintain a low profile, not wanting to speak to anyone. I caught a glimpse of Nathan from across the foyer. A girl had dropped her books and he was trying to help her pick them up.

I thought he was cute, but I soon found out that he was not a nice person. Who could be a nice person when the hung around the bulldog of Bayview.

"Would you quit checking out my friend!" Jakes remark brings me back to the future and I notice that Amelia is nowhere to be seen and neither is her clique. I believe that she may have just given up, she was much smaller than a lot of girls, especially his friend Jessie from back home. Jessie would put the hurt of Jake just for looking at me the wrong way, not that I ever needed her to.

"I don't go checking out every guy, contrary to your small minded belief." I am thrown to the ground, Jake becoming irritated by my non-submissive behavior. I am beginning to grow tired of this idiot. I am trying to keep a low profile, but he is making it hard to not kick the shit out of him.

"I bet you do. I bet that's why you moved away from where ever you came from." I can't help the immediate sting of pain I feel by him mentioning my leaving of home. "I am going to make your life a living hell, you little bitch."

He seems to mean it to, but I am not scared of him, all he can do is put a few bruises on me.

Jake turns to leave, done with my lack of caring about his threats, and comes face to face with Amelia. I was surprised that she came back and as the school counselor, Mr. Matthews, appears behind her, I know that she had brought back up.

I laugh as the counselor blocks Jakes escape route and he looks down at me with an angered glare. Amelia walks past Jake and to the area where I am now sitting on the floor. She reaches her hand out and I take it, pulling myself into a standing position. "Hey, I'm Amelia Davis."

She is truthfully cute, but everyone knows that I am openly gay, I just am not into women and I was born that way.

"Thank you, Amelia, for helping me. I am going to admit I'm growing tired of Jakes game." She giggles for a moment and we begin to chat as the counselor marches Jake and his clique to the office. I notice that Nathan isn't with them and turn to see that he isn't leaning against the wall anymore.

I see him out of my peripheral vision as he is walking in the opposite direction as the now dispersing gathering. He is confusing, but part of me can't help but be curious about him. He is a mystery to me, nice one moment and uncaring the next.

Who are you, Nathan Davis?