Epilogue

4 Months Later

I stand in front of my bedroom mirror, adjusting the red tie that is hanging from my neck, as I straightened my suit jacket. It was only four months ago that I didn't think I would make it to see this day. Prom has always been an event that I looked forward to, but back then I thought it would be much different than the one I am about to attend. "Hayden are you almost ready?" I hear Amelia call from Jessie's room.

"Yeah, I just have to get your things and then I will be in there." I holler, hearing the commotion of my mother and his parents downstairs. We decided that getting ready together would just be easier so that we didn't have to meet up to take pictures.

Nathan and I agreed that he would escort Jessie and I would escort Amelia, but we will spend the night together. After the accident, I had a cast on my left leg and a cast on my right arm. I had pulled my shoulder out of its socket and broken my wrist. The piece of metal that had punctured me caused the most damage, by puncturing one of my intestines. They had gone in to fix that just after the accident and it took me three months to heal. I still have the large incision scar to show for it.

I head out of my room once I finish fixing my hair and into Jessie's where the others are. Nathan is sitting on her bed and the girls are huddled in the corner. Jessie is wearing a short cocktail dress and her hair is done up in curls. Amelia's dress is a curve-hugging mermaid dress and her hair is in a 50's styled updo. Both of them chose to go with a red theme which made us all match. My eyes shift to Nathan and I have the urge to kiss him, knowing I won't even be able to dance with him tonight.

"Well look who is finally ready," Jessie says and I look over to see her with her hands on her hips. I roll my eyes and walk to Amelia, giving her the corsage. Jessie already wearing hers, the duplicate of Amelia's.

"We should head downstairs so that they can get the pictures done and we can head out," I tell them and they agree, the girls heading downstairs first. Nathan stops at the door and turns, grabbing me by the waist and pulling me in for a kiss.

"You are by far the best-dressed one tonight, Hayden. But I would prefer to see you undressed." He says and leaves me standing in the doorway, breathless. I would prefer for him to see me undressed too, the bond is now so much stronger because of all of the pain I went through to heal.

I head downstairs after a moment and my mother quickly hugs me. "Damn it, Hayden, stop growing up!" She says and I laugh as I pull away from her. I reassure her that I wish it would all slow down too. In a little over a month, I will be graduating high school and I just want it all to slow down.

"Alright, let's get some pictures and then head off to the school, we don't want you to miss the grand march line up." Nathan's mother says and we all get into place. They all begin taking pictures but my mom requests one of Nathan and me, Jessie and I, and then all of us together. After roughly a half an hour of our photo's I tell them no more and we all head to the school. Amelia and Jessie ride in one car while Nathan and I ride together.

The car ride is quiet, but his hand stays wrapped in mine, only letting me go when we have to go out in public. I have to admit that I put on a good face for him because he is trying to make me feel loved and yet he can't love me in front of everybody. It sometimes makes me feel like I am not good enough, even though he has told me many times I am more than enough.

We all enter the cafeteria and they are already beginning to line us up to head to the stage. I get in line with Amelia and Nathan and Jessie are farther back. We don't talk much and continue out to the stage, parading ourselves so all of the adults could view our outfits. I walk out onto the stage with Amelia on my arm and the lights are the first thing I notice. They are blinding but I just continue to the X. We stand for a moment as they read off our names and then head off of the stage and to find our bus. It doesn't take but an hour for everyone to be loaded onto all of the busses and we are leaving the school.