Chapter 2 (uploaded 01/19/2019)

The morning sun's rays shine through the window, waking me, but I had no motivation to move. It has been a few days since the last time that he had dealt with Jake and Amelia had stepped in. I don't like lying low, but if I don't I will get close to others and that means that they would ask me about why I moved here. I would rather keep my personal problems just that.

I catch a whiff of something being cooking downstairs and wondered what my mother was making for breakfast. She and I had not been so close before moving here, but it was just she and I now that understood each other. We share a similar kind of pain and nobody else can understand that kind of bond.

My mind goes back to Amelia, not understanding why she is suddenly noticing me. I have been attending this school for three months and have many classes with her. She just happened to notice me while Jake was trying to intimidate me. She had been trying to talk to him for the last few days.

Maybe she has a crush on me.

I quickly shake the thought off and sit up, kicking my feet over the edge of the bed. I can hear Easton and my mother talking, more or less just small talk, but mother must have wanted me to get some sleep. I am just getting the motivation to move when I hear my phone start to ring.

I notice that it is a face chat from an old friend of mine and answer it hurriedly. "Jessie!"

She looks at me through the screen with a smirk. "Hayden Grey, You have not tested me or called me in an entire week, you better have been getting some damn good sex."

I had to laugh at her and fall back onto the bed. I shake my head at her and she starts laughing. "As if, I haven't gotten any in a year and you know that isn't about to change any time soon."

Jessie is the type of friend that I can call her bitch and she will take it as a greeting and hat goes both ways.

"So seriously, what has been going on that has been keeping you busy?" I think back to the last couple of days at school and sigh.

"Where do I start? You know my bully, Jake? Well, I may have gotten into another altercation with him and-"

Jessie interrupts me. "Where is this bitch, I will show him an ass kicking he will never forget!"

"Jessie, it is okay, I was about to say that somebody actually stood up for me."

She seems genuinely surprised and then smirks at me. " I don't get why you don't just kick his ass yourself. We both know that you have kicked plenty of ass back here in California." I nod seriously.

" I am trying to maintain a low profile. If I kick his ass, people will wonder who the kid who could kick the ass of the schools bully came from." I sound as if I am afraid of being not invisible. I want friends, but not super close ones. I don't want them to ask questions.

"Look, low profile or not, I want you to make friends. I don't want you to be alone to your thoughts. I worry about you more than I worry about anybody else." I give her a small smile and tell her that she has nothing to worry about.

There is a moment of silence as Jessie and I look at each other with understanding before I open my mouth again. "Are people there still talking about what happened?" Jessie sighs.

"Well your mom packing up and moving you guy's across the country didn't help but I think most of it has died down at this point." I nod, understanding that she wasn't happy when I told her that my mom got transferred.

I hear my mother call my name and tell Jessie I have to go. I hang up and get out of bed, heading down the stairs. I meet my mother at the bottom and ask her what it is that she was calling me for. We talk for a moment about her having to work and that I am in charge of Easton for the night.