Chapter 19

Finals week came and went, my grades only got better with the tests and Jessies were the same way. Amelia was able to pass her Sociology final but she hasn't wanted to do much but lay in bed since the party. Jessie and I had gone to her room a couple of times but she doesn't speak much. Nathan never let us stay in there alone, making sure we behaved. Occasionally he would try to speak to me but I never replied and paid attention to his little sister. Perhaps he felt guilt over letting Jake go alone with his little sister.

As I adjust my red tie, I wonder if she will make an appearance tonight or if she will just lie in bed. Jake has left town, nobody has seen him since that night and I have to wonder where it is that he has gone. His father, who is a state policeman, had issued a missing person report, but nobody is looking. We all know he ran off because he would have gone away for what he did to Amelia.

Jessie comes into the bedroom, bringing me out of my thoughts and I smile at her, tonight he doesn't look like a badass, but she has an elegant nature about her. Her bright red dress matched my tie and the black band around her waist, matches my Black button up and Black dress pants. This is the most dressed up I have been in a long time and tonight will be fun because for once, we don't have to worry about Jake Harrison.

"How do I look?" She asks and places her hands on her hips, twirling around so I can get a good look at it from all angles. Her hair is done up in curls and pinned down, she has taken a few good hours on getting ready for this dance.

"I don't think anyone there will compare," I tell her and she giggles, punching me in the shoulder.

"Oh stop it with the flattery, Grey." She starts to laugh again and reaches into the bodice of her dress, pulling out a small flask. "Want to pre-game a bit?" She doesn't give me a chance to answer her before she is taking a swig of the contents of the flask. I shake my head and think back to the time we almost got kicked out of school for bringing a flask to the school dance. We almost got caught but Jessie shoved it in her dress before anybody could see it. I roll my eyes and take the flask from her, taking a healthy shot.

It burns all the way down but the numbing that came after it is what I have craved in the last month, after everything, I am still seeking numbness. I hand her the flask back and she doesn't put it back in her dress but instead on the counter. "We will have some fun with that later." She says and gestures to the cabinet where my mother keeps any liquor in the house.

We head out, the little bit of Alcohol in our systems not having much of an effect on us and we make it to the school just as they are opening the doors for the dance. I don't see Amelia around even though we had told her that she should still come. Jessie and I take to the dance floor where the music is blaring and the bass is hard.

She takes the lead as she starts bouncing and I join her, going in time with the rhythm. We laugh, having fun for the first time in a long time and our bodies are basically grinding up against one another's. She wraps her arms around my neck and we begin to dance in sync with one another. A few people tapped me on the shoulder and asked if they could dance with Jessie but I denied and she did the same when girls asked her.

After more than a few songs I am out of breath and a slow song comes on, letting Jessie and I change our toon. We danced like we were a true couple, close and no hesitation, with an electric passion. After the slow song, we make our way off of the dance floor and out into the main foyer. We are both breathless and I notice that Nathan is standing at the end of the hall, his bimbo not at his side. I can feel the shot from earlier and so can Jessie as she notices what I am looking at. Nathan looks over and Jessie acts quickly, pulling me down and planting a soft kiss on my lips.

Nathan looks away and I can see the anger written on his face as if he is angry that I am having fun with somebody else. He looks back our way as we separate and then begins walking down to us. I step in front of Jessie and she wraps her arms around my waist. "I'll handle this," I mutter as he makes it to us.