Chapter 6

I wake to the sun shining through my curtains. Inwardly I groan, noticing that it is only nine in the morning. I had planned on sleeping in. I roll over, my hand covering my eye, hoping that I can go back to sleep. I am just dozing off when I hear my phone begin to ring, curing myself for turning the volume up.

My phone continues to ring and I quickly grab it, noticing that it is Amelia calling me and that this is the fourth time. I hit the answer button and place the phone next to my ear before speaking. "Please tell me the reason that you are calling me this early is because somebody is dying or there has been an emergency."

She scoffs on the other side of the phone before laughing a little bit. "Well good morning to you too, cranky. I am just calling to ask if you want to go to the mall with me today?" I groan and pull the phone away from my ear for a moment.

"What time?" I mutter as I put the phone back to my ear. If she is thinking that I am going to get ready now, she is mistaken.

"I was thinking noon. We could just meet there, at the food court."

"I guess, now, I am going to go back to bed for a few more hours, I will see you there." I don't give her much time before I am hanging up. I roll over and see the background on my phone, still a picture of the better times.

I place my phone beside my head and close my eyes, drifting off, but it does not feel like it is long. It only lasts for a moment but I feel as if I have enough to sleep to actually function. I pull my phone up and notice that it is now ten thirty in the morning. Amelia had text me a few times but nothing important.

I get out of bed and go straight to the bathroom, grabbing a towel from the linen closet. I could hear my mother and Easton in the kitchen downstairs talking and messing around. I leave them to it, knowing that my mother and Easton do not get a lot of time alone anymore. He misses having her around and having her read to him at night.

I turn the water on and strip naked, taking the ring from around my neck and placing it on the sink. I never shower with it on, afraid that it would diminish the ring at all. I step in the shower and I sigh at the relief that the burning brought. For a moment, my hands running up my arms reminded me of the hands of another. I bite down on my lip, letting a tear run down my cheek and disappear with the rest of the water.

I rush the shower and wrap my lower body in a towel before heading back to my room. I shut and lock my door behind me, heading to my dresser to find a pair of boxers. I quickly get dressed and go to my full length bedroom mirror to see how I look. I notice that I can see my brown roots were coming through and that I would need to die my roots again.

I head downstairs and my mother greets me, looking less worn out than she usually does. Easton looks over at me and I smiles before continuing to eat lunch.

"Good afternoon, honey, I didn't want to wake you, you were sleeping so peacefully." I smile slightly and chuckle a bit. I move to the island and lean against it as I grab my ring out of my pocket. I put it on and my mom looks away.

"Yeah, Amelia called me this morning at about nine. She wants me to go to the mall so I am just about to head out. Do you need me to pick anything up?" I ask and she is silent for a moment before she shakes her head. I move away from the island and tuck the ring underneath my shirt before heading towards the door.

"Oh, Hayden, keep your phone on you and on loud." I turn and look at her giving her a small nod. I open the front door and head out to my car. I get in and throw my phone in the passenger's seat and start the car. I pull away from the curb and

I park the car in the side lot of the mall, closest to the food court. I am a bit late but I am here so that is what matters. I grab my phone from the passenger seat and my leather jacket from the back seat. I get out of the car and throw the jacket on, slipping my gloves on as well, it is starting to get cold outside.