Chapter 9

*Trigger warning: Talk of suicide and mental illness in this chapter. Continue with caution*

The counselor talked the principal into forgiving my actions if I am to serve detention with the counselor. The faculty is aware of the situation between Jake and Hayden, but they had not done anything about it. The counselor is the only one who has disciplined Jake and that is because Amelia always went to get him when Jake shows up. Since I do not have a class during the last hour of school, I agreed that I would serve my detention then, so here I sit.

"Mr. Grey, I need you, to be honest with me. You told me yesterday that you had blacked out when Jake pulled that ring off of your neck. I need to know the whole story because I know that this is not like you. You usually don't engage in fights or start them." He pulls a paper off of his desk and grabs his clipboard. He then looks at me, waiting for me to explain so he can take notes of the situation.

"Look, the situation is hard to talk about. Where can even begin?" I am so numb and yet he just looks at me expectantly. His long black hair is clipped up, giving him more of a girly appearance.

"Your mother is worried, everybody is worried that if you don't actually talk about it, you might act out even more. I am here to help you, just open up." He seemed sincere, but part of me couldn't help but believe that it is because it is his job to give a shit.

"I'll start from the fact that I didn't tell you the whole truth last time. When I said that there was an accident...I didn't tell you it wasn't really an accident."

The morning of the accident my parents had been fighting, as they had often done before, but never like this. She had wanted a divorce, not because she didn't love him, but because he needed help and didn't want to get it. My father had battled with mental illness all of his life but hid it from the work people very well. He had been suicidal multiple times in his adult life, but my mother was always watching over him to make sure that he didn't do anything.

Up until the accident, I had not known about my father's battles. If I had, I wouldn't have let Trevor get into that car with him. He was only trying to help and it got him killed.

My father had wanted my mother to go a drive with him so they could talk it through. She didn't want to, so worn down from the years that she had begged him to get on medication or go for psychological screening. She had believed that there was something more to the way he behaved like he was two different people. I had noticed the mood swings multiple times but had grown up knowing that this is how my father is.

Trevor told him that he would talk to him and see if he could find out how to have my parents work it out. He kissed me and left with my father. My mother just sat in the living room with her face in her hands. Nobody could have guessed the atrocity that was to follow our decision to let them leave.

When the police came to the door hours later and told us there has been an accident, my mother knew that this had not been an accident. After identifying the bodies my mother and I returned home and noticed that the flag on the mailbox was sticking up. My mother reached in and found a note addressed to her and me.

The reports on the accident were that Trevor had been killed in the accident, but it was so much worse than anything anyone could have thought. The reason that there was no sign of struggle from Trevor during the accident was that he was already dead. My father had taken him somewhere so they could talk, but instead, he put a bullet in his abdomen and then one in his head.

The bleeding eyes and cuts in my dream were noted in the autopsy report and the real story was kept out of the papers as a request from both families involved.