Chapter 5

This morning had not been an easy one. Getting out of bed almost did not happen, but my mother had forced me to get up when she had told me that I had to take Easton to school. She usually takes him to school, but she had some early morning meetings so she had to leave earlier than usual. She left me one of my father's old cars since it would be difficult for me to get to school otherwise.

Now I sit in the room with grey/blue walls and a nice leather couch, the school counselors office. It has been mandatory that I come here once a week or get an actual therapist. This is easier and when I don't feel focused enough for classes I can just come down here to talk. It is nice but annoying because the counselor seems to care too much.

"So, Mr. Grey, I checked in on your classes and you are really doing great in them. I am proud that you were able to adjust to our curriculum so easily." The counselor notes and I just look away. This school was much farther behind on their curriculum than mine had been. This school is a piece of cake when it comes to grades.

"It is all easy. I have already done this type of coursework when I lived in California. Now all I am focusing on is trying to make some friends and deal with Jake Harrison." The counselor looks like he wants to say something about Jake and i am anxious to see what it is about. His pitch black hair was kept long and he really was a picture of beauty, but I am not interested in him that way.

"Mr. Harrison seems to pick on you more than others. Why do you think that is?" I have to think of what to tell him because I don't really understand Jakes obsession with me. He sits back and waits for my answer.

"I guess it's because I don't just take it from him. He's not the top dog anymore and he wants to assert his dominance by trying to show everyone a weaker side of me." I explain and he thinks for a moment before writing it down on his paper. He looks back up at me.

"How have you been coping with what happened in California." I stand, without a word, and walk out the door. I have no urge to tell a stranger about something so personal. Mr. Matthews already knows more about me and my past than I wanted him too.

The counselor doesn't call for me to come back or chase after me, I think he knows that it is not worth it, he knows that I am not going to discuss this situation with him until I am ready to. I head out of the office and into the hallway. I stop at the end of the hallway and take a deep breath.

I start towards my second period classroom, as the first period had ended almost half an hour ago. Usually, my talks with the counselor lasted an entire hour before either he ends it or I get mad and storm off. I do not appreciate people digging into the past without me telling them that they can ask the questions first.

I enter my classroom and the teacher hands me a sheet for the notes and another handout before I go to my seat. All of the teachers are aware that I have almost daily visits to the counselor, especially if he feels that I need to speak to him because of my behavior. They all have to report to him if they see any strange behavior too, it is as if my mother thinks that I will do something to hurt myself.

You never would have wanted me to do that.

I start filling in my notes from earlier and soon catch up to where the teacher is at. It is another lesson that my previous school had already taught me. I take out the homework sheet and start doing it. I am about halfway through the sheet when I feel like somebody is staring at me. I turn my head and see that Nathan Davis is staring at me intensely. I glare at him before turning back around to finish my homework

I feel his gaze through the rest of class, wondering what his deal could be. If somebody back home would have stared at me this long Jessi would have kicked their ass already.