vi. THE CHANGE

IT'S MORE late at night and Icarus kept glancing at the other two, anxious for one of them to start talking. He wants them to make up or at least talk to each other. Then Nancy comes to a stop. "What, are you tired?" Jonathan said as he and Icarus turn to face her. "Shut up." She says and Icarus gave a confused look at her. "What?" Jonathan said then looks at Icarus who smirks.

"I heard something." Once Nancy said that, the boys grew quiet as Icarus looked all around. He can hear it too, he wonders if it's the same thing as the whimpering continued, so they go towards the sound. They look around everywhere, trying to find where the staranger noise is coming from. When they saw the injured deer, "Oh, God.." Nancy said as the three of them kneel in front of it.

"It's been hit by a car," Nancy said, gently touching it and Icarus sighs. "We can't just leave it." Nancy says and Icarus looks at her. Nancy holds up the gun in her hand then aimed it at the whimpering animal but then Jonathan held out his hand. "I'll do it." He says and Nancy looks at him.

"I thought you said—" "I'm not nine anymore." He says and Icarus smirks as Nancy gave Jonathan the gun. The three stood and stepped back, Jonathan raised the gun and cocking it. Before Jonathan can pull the trigger, the animal is dragged away, causing the three to jump back and gasp loudly. "What was that?" Nancy whispered and Icarus sighed, putting his hands onto his knees.

They all follow the trail of blood, looking for the animal or whatever might have dragged it away. "Where'd it go?" Nancy spoke and Icarus looks at her. "I don't know." Jonathan said, pointing the flashlight and gun in his hands around. "Do you see anymore blood?" Icarus asked as he looks all around, keeping a look out. "No." Nancy says then looks at the other two. As they all went seperate ways, Icarus tries to look and see if there was more blood. He notices Nancy looking at a tree.

He walks over, "what is that?" He whispers. "Jonathan." He shouts and looks all around. "Jonathan." She shouted as well then looks up at Icarus. "I have to go in.." She says. "If you are, I am too.." He says then got on his knees. "I'm going first to see if it's safe." He whispers then starts to crawl through, all the way.

He stands up, then looks all around and then helps Nancy as she crawled in. "You okay?" He asked as his flashlight starts to flicker. She nods before they walk more further, looking around. His light continues to flicker which he lightly hits until growling caught their attention. They both turn and Icarus gasped lightly when he saw the creature crouched over the deer they saw in the woods. Nancy walks backwards, then a twig snaps underneath her foot. "Jonathan!" She screamed when the creature turned to them, growling loudly. They start running the other way.

"Nancy! Icarus!" Jonathan kept yelling for their names as Nancy and Icarus ran around, "Jonathan!" Both of them were screaming. "Jonathan! I'm right here!" Nancy shouted and Icarus runs after her. "Jonathan, where are you?!" Icarus shouted as they kept running. Nancy comes to a stop and Icarus grabs her. "Shh.." He whispers as he looks around. She is panting as she looks up at him.

"Just follow my voice!" Jonathan shouted and that's when Icarus grabbed her hand and started running, leading the way. "Jonathan!" She shouted and Jonathan keeps shouting back, "Follow my voice! Icarus! Nancy! I'm right here!" The two turn the other way, only to see another creature, it growled so they both scream and start running again.

Icarus stops at a tree, holding Nancy close to him against it. "Wait.." He whispers and the growling continued, and the monster sounded close by. It was passing by the tree they stood at. "Nancy! Follow my voice!" Jonathan shouted and Nancy looks over at the tree, the same tree they came from. "There.." She whispered but Icarus had to make sure first, he looks towards where the monster went. "You go.." He lets go of her. "I can't go without you." She says and he looks at her. "Go." He states and she nods before rushing over to the tree.