What's Normal?

(Kaminari's POV)

We finally received word that school would resume. Classes are back in session. I'm not used to waking up early again and end up being twenty minutes late out the door. I was supposed to meet Jirou by the park, but she wasn't there. I take out my phone. She'd texted me several times.

Kyouka ❤: where r u

Kyouka ❤: are you awake??

Kyouka ❤: did you forget we have school today?

Kyouka ❤: hellooo..?

Kyouka ❤: alright you're taking too long i'm gonna get going

I run to the UA gates, which they reinforced. They had new facial recognition and ID scans. There was a line to get your picture taken for facial recognition so I had to wait before I could get in.

Seven minutes until class starts. I finally get to the front. They take my photo, scan my ID and I full on sprint into the door. I catch a glance at a clock in the hallway.

7:28.

I had two minutes!

I get to the classroom and burst through the door, panting, out of breath. Everyone was already seated. Mr. Aizawa looked just about as cheerful as ever.

I didn't get to apologize to Kyouka for not showing up because Mr. Aizawa had already started talking.

"I'm glad to see that you are all back and well. I hope you are all prepared to get back into routine. About the attack," he sighs. "Your parents should have received a lengthy apology letter from the faculty. It is our priority that nothing like that will happen again, and we mean this time."

That letter was the reason why my parents let me come to school today. That, and I practically begged them.

We were doing written work today, so we couldn't really socialize and talk about all the things that have changed.

I've already noticed a handful of new things. There's a hell of a lot of new cameras, there's more security, the gates been reinforced by about ten-fold, the classroom doors have multiple locks that can only be locked from the inside, there's these siren-alarm things mounted on the walls next to the fire alarms and the windows seemed to have gotten thicker.

I thought everything was just going to go back to normal, like it was before the attack. Apparently all this is the new normal now. It's gonna take some getting used to.

Lunch rolls around and we all sit at one big table, boys, girls, class A and even class B joined us.

We talked about the attack and what happened at the park. We discuss the new changes throughout the school and the extra precautions the staff have taken.

"This is crazy."

"UA looks like a prison.."

"It's kinda scary."

"They're just trying to protect us."

"It is probably for the best."

The rest of the day was a blur to me. We moved back into the dorms and talked almost all night long in the common area because none of us were able to fall asleep. I've noticed all of us have seemed to mature over ther past four weeks. It's weird. We're all trying to get over these feelings, but it's trauma. It probably won't ever go away.

It gets really late and one by one each of us starts dozing off due to lack of energy.

Jirou's head lightly falls onto my shoulder as she falls asleep. I wrap my arms around her and eventually fall asleep right next to her.

Things are going to be different from now on. Whether we like it or not.