Jirou's Birthday

(Jirou's POV)

I wake up at about five thirty in the morning with my arms wrapped around Kaminari's arm. I check my phone and see a text from my mom.

Mom: Happy birthday, sweetie!! 🎉 Don't forget to visit us after school today 🎂

My mom uses emojis way too much.

Anyway, so, I guess today is my sixteenth birthday. I don't want to make a big deal about it, so I won't go telling everyone. Besides, if people do know it's my birthday, I'll be able to name my good friends. Haha, just kidding. I don't care if people know or not. I'm not like that.

We get ready for school and everything happens like any other day. While I was walking down the hall, Mina, Yaomomo and Ochaco gave me hug and wished me  happy birthday. It makes sense. Yaomomo made it a point to know when everyone's birthdays are and marks them on a calendar. It's a bit much, but that's her kind of thing.

Kaminari didn't say anything to me until we were entering the classroom.

He pulled me aside and planted his lips on mine. He pulls away, but before walking into the classroom,

"Happy." He says, with a soft smile.

"What?" I ask, but he walks into the room without another word.

What is he up to?

(Kaminari's POV)

So today is August first, but it's also Kyouka's birthday. She didn't say anything about it! Not even to me! I know she probably doesn't want to make a big deal about it, so I decide to do something nice, but subtle.

I came up with this on my own. I just hope she can figure it out. If not, I'll just look stupid.

So, every time I kiss her, i'm going to say one word. All the words will combine into the sentence, "Happy birthday, Kyouka, I love you." So...that's...six kisses.

I wanted to come up with a better sentence, but this was last minute and I didn't have much time to think about it.

Haha. Her face when I did the first word. She was so confused. I almost laughed. I actually felt kind of bad. Oh well. It'll be worth it in the end.

I did it for the next two words, but when I  tried to do it for "I" she stopped me.

"Okay, seriously. What the heck are you doing?" She asks, putting her hand up.

Uhhhhh...what do I say??? I can't give it away this soon! Quick, just say...something!

"Uh, nothing..? I can't kiss my girlfriend?" I laugh nervously.

"Well, no..but...like, why have you been saying random words?" She asks, crossing her arms.

"Random? Pft. They're not random. Just...just think about it." I said and left it at that.

Jirou still didn't get it. It's okay. She still had two words left. If she still doesn't get it, I guess I'll just tell her. I think she can figure it out, though.

I finished it when we got back to the dorms. She didn't say anything.

I went to my room and Jirou went to hers, I assume to do homework or something.

A few minutes before dinner, there's a knock at my door. I open it to see Kyouka. She leans on the doorframe.

"That's it?" She asks.

"Huh?"

"You're done?"

"Done with what?" I say.

"That thing you were doing all day. "Happy birthday, Kyouka, I love you." That's it?" She asks, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah. That's it. Did you not like it?" I frown.

"No, I did. It was clever. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't another sentence or something."

"Another sentence? That's hard work. I barely got through one."

She laughs. "Thank you, though."

"It's the least I could do. I wish I could've gotten you an actual gift for your birthday."

"Don't worry. This was more than anything I could ask for." She says with a soft smile.