Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Doctor POV

Three thousand years later, the TARDIS materialises on a spaceship with a long central hub and two rotating sections, one larger than the other.

"It's a spaceship. Brilliant! I got a spaceship on my first official adventure". Mickey says. There are lots of bits and pieces of equipment scattered around.

"It looks kind of abandoned. Anyone on board? ", Rose asks.

"Nah, nothing here. Well, nothing dangerous. Well, not that dangerous. You know what, I'll just have a quick scan, in case there's anything dangerous". I say.

I see Ayla with an uncomfortable look on her face. 'This can't be good'

"So, what's the date? How far we gone? ", Rose asks.

"About three thousand years into your future, give or take", I answer. "Fifty first century. Diagmar Cluster, you're a long way from home, Mickey. Two and a half galaxies".

"Mickey Smith, meet the universe. See anything you like? ", Rose asks.

And Mickey comments, "It's so realistic!"

"Dear me, had some cowboys in here. Got a ton of repair work going on. Now that's odd. Look at that. All the warp engines are going. Full capacity. There's enough power running through this ship to punch a hole in the universe, but we're not moving. So where's all that power going? " I say confused.

"Where'd all the crew go?" Rose asks

"Good question. No life readings on board". I reply.

"Well, we're in deep space. They didn't just nip out for a quick fag."

"No, I've checked all the smoking pods. Can you smell that? ", I say.

"Yeah, someone's cooking"

"Sunday roast, definitely." Mickey comments, and I see Ayla gagging. "Ayla, are you okay?", I ask as I search through the bond for any physical ailments. I don't find anything.

"I'm fine. It's disgusting. The smell is making me sick", she says and I frown.

"Do you want to go back to the TARDIS?" I ask her. She shakes her head, "No, I'll be fine. I want to stay with you". 'What is it about the smell that makes her react like this?'

"Okay, well you just have to tell me if you want to go home". I say.

'I will'.

I use the console to open a door behind us.

What we see is unexpected.

The far wall is panelled, and contains a blazing fire in an ornate fireplace, with an ormolu clock on the mantelpiece. Exactly like a bedroom at Versailles.

"Well, there's something you don't see in your average spaceship. Eighteenth century. French. Nice mantle. Not a hologram. It's not even a reproduction. This actually is an eighteenth century French fireplace. Double sided. There's another room through there", I say.

Rose looks out of a porthole in the same wall.

"There can't be. That's the outer hull of the ship. Look", Rose says

I see a young girl and say to her,

"Hello. " I am speaking to a young girl in a nightgown who is kneeling by the fire on the other side of the fireplace. 'She looks almost the same age as Ayla if she was human'.

"Hello.", she replies. "What's your name? "

"Reinette".

"Reinette, that's a lovely name. Can you tell me where you are at the moment, Reinette? ", I ask.