Chapter 49

Evelina fainted and she was taken to her room.

"Are you okay?" the Doctor asks me.

"I'm not sure" I respond.

He hugs me, "I won't let anything happen to you", the Doctor tells me.

"I know" I respond, 'It's really nice to hug him again, even if it's still strange. At least he is trying and he hasn't even demanded that I tell him what I know like he has done in the past'.

The Doctor then investigates the hypocaust, along with Caecilius. And I head to Evelina's room with Donna to make sure she is alright.

The Doctor comes in after he spoke to Caecilius.

"Donna, Ayla" he calls out, "I'm going to do some investigating here. Can you stay here and watch over the TARDIS?" he asks Donna and I.

"Of course Space man", Donna says.

The Doctor looks at me, "Ayla, if there is any trouble, please, will you go to the TARDIS?", he asks, and continues, "As much as I want you to come with me, I don't know what danger I might get into. There is something seriously wrong with this place".

"It's alright Doctor, we'll be fine until you get back" I tell him reassuringly. He gives me a hug and then whispers something to Donna.

Evelina's mum left to make some supper. Donna and I were sitting around the house waiting for the Doctor to come and Evelina to wake up.

"How long have you been with the Doctor?" Donna asks me.

"It's really hard to say. I think it might be five years or more. I don't know" I tell her unsure, trying to work out how long it's been.

"What do you mean you don't know?" she asks me concerned.

"Um, well...I was with the Doctor for about a year more or less before...I got sent into stasis and don't know how long I was in there for . I think it might have been a two years" I tell her, unsure of her reaction, "And then I stayed with another Time Lord for three years and got back to the Doctor and have been staying with him for about five months now"

She frowns at me, "Why were you in stasis?" she demands.

"You know about the invasion of the Daleks and Cyber-men? I was in the middle of it. I was in danger and the Doctor made a teleport bracelet linked to the TARDIS that would send me to a stasis chamber" I tell her.

"Why were you in there for so long then if the danger has passed?", she asks.

I look away as she asks me this, and she frowns. She was about to say something when Matella came in and told us that Evelina was awake.

We go to Evelina's room, and she is pretty nice. Matella gave Donna a toga to wear and Evelina gave me one of her older ones when she was younger. 'I'm older than her and yet I still look like a twelve year old girl', I think frustrated.

Donna and I show off ourselves to Evelina, making her laugh at us.

"You're not supposed to laugh. Thanks for that. What do you think? The Goddess Venus" Donna says.

"Oh, that's sacrilege", Evelina responds.

"Nice to see you laugh, though. What do you do in old Pompeii, then, girls your age? You got mates? Do you go hanging about round the shops? TK Maximus?"

"I am promised to the Sisterhood for the rest of my life", Evelina says resolved.

"Do you get any choice in that?", Donna asks.