chapter 22

A little boy ran past me laughing. “PAPA! Look a cave!” he shouted and ran in front of it.

“I see that Milo. That’s why I brought you here! That is where we are going to be sleeping tonight and the lake is where dinner is.” He laughed and ruffled the boy’s hair.

They set up camp and fished for dinner.  After dinner, Milo started to drift off, listening to his father talk about all the pack tales as he does every night. A rustle outside the cave made Michael tense up and Milo jerk awake.

“Milo run. Run to the back of the cave. There is another entrance there that hardly anyone knows about. It’s small but you should be able to fit.” He pushed me back there.

“But Papa I can help!” The boy protested eyes filled with fright.

“No! Run Milo and Run to home. Get our Beta, Max, and send him here but stay home! You have to watch over the pack like an Alpha ok?” He hugged him tightly and pushed him to the back.

As the boy ran he didn’t know that would be the last time he had his true father.

I wiped away tears watching the memory realizing that was the cave that they were hiding at. I know how to beat them now.

“Milo you have to get out of there. They are planning an attack soon!” My father’s face peered out of the darkness.

“Did you pull me in here?  How did Tom escape? What is going on?” I yelled at him.

“There isn’t time, Milo. You have to attack now when they aren’t expecting it!” He shoved me back.

I woke up with a start and rubbed my head. Pixie sat beside me, worried.

“Where is Liam?”  I sighed standing up.

“When you passed out, he went insane with anger. He stormed out to look for Tom. He hasn’t come back.” She blurted out.

“How long ago was that?” I asked alarmed.

“Like 10 hours ago.” She sighed. “Milo. We found signs of a fight.”

“You think they captured him?” I asked calmly and she nodded her head.

“Gather everyone together and meet me in the kitchen.” I ordered and walked to the kitchen.

Everyone gathered and I sighed. “We are attacking them now. I will distract them in front of the cave. Pixie, you and whoever you chose will sneak in through the back there is a small opening. The rest will wait in the woods till I give you a signal. I want to wait till Liam is set free.”

A cry of protest rang out, some jumping to their feet.

“Milo! You don’t really except for us to wait in the woods while you are attacked.” Someone cried out.

“Yes that is exactly what I want you to do.” I stood up silencing them. “Let’s go.”

We stood in the woods, everyone moving into position silently. I just got back from showing Pixie and a group where the entrance was to sneak in to.  I took a step into the clearing and wolves looked at me and growled.

I sighed. “Where is the leader of your pathetic lot?”

“I am right here.” A guy drifted through the woods and I stepped back.

It is my father’s beta. A guy who made sure I ate and had clothes. Who saved my life on more than one occasion Jacobs dad, someone I used to think of as a dad.  It’s Max.

He chuckled. “Look at you so confused so lost. I was supposed to be the Alpha of the pack. Your father was lucky and he became Alpha. I was fine with that because he would have died soon anyways and it would have belonged to me.”

He came towards me smiling. “His mate left him and it was slowly killing him inside. But then he got word of you and you were his reason to live.”

“So why didn’t you just kill me?” I snarled at him tensing up reading myself for his attack.”

“Well then because I would be the monster that kills a baby. I had to wait and come up with a plan. Everyone saw me help you. They loved me for it and were talking about overthrowing your father to help you. BUT YOU JUST WOULDN’T DIE!”

He lunged at me snarling but I easily dodged him. I have to keep him occupied till Pixie gives me the signal.

“Sorry I am a disappointment.”  I shook my head. “I can’t believe you. Does your son know about this?”

He laughed. “Why would I tell him?”  He is starting to transform

The wolves were circling around and I knew that they all were about to attack. I pulled my magic out and shoved them back. A few looked around terrified.

He laughed his eyes going mad. “I am going to destroy your mate just like I did you. You were so broken, desperate for attention. I am sure Tom is having fun with him again… right now.” He taunted.

I snapped, seeing crimson, I lunged at him full force. I punched him in the face and then heard the whistle. Liam is free. I started laughing.

He stumbled back looked at me confused. I stalked towards him smiling viciously. I see my pack emerging from the woods and Liam out of the cave with Pixie, fighting the way out.

“You lost Max. Surrender now and I won’t hurt you. Or fight and I will destroy you.”