A Soldier's Guilt

David poked his head up, startled and terrified by the question presented to him

   "I... Um... Unfortunately I can't say I'm innocent..." David whimpered.
   "David you do not have to-"
   "It was back when I first joined the Red army, there were times where I'd get patients that I couldn't save, ones I had to watch die according to Red Leader's orders and... I hated it, I still hate it, but it happens less often now that things have calmed down a bit," David kept his eyes focused on the ground.
   "David you cannot possibly blame yourself for-"
   "-I'm not finished, at one point, I had a discussion with Red leader regarding a sort of dream serum, a serum that would put those past the point of return to sleep and they would die painlessly and in a final dream," David continued.
   "That... Actually sounds like a great idea," Jack nodded.
   "Red leader definitely thought so... He approved it and the researcher and I managed to make it a reality... Sorta... The serum failed and we instead created a nightmare serum, anyone who ingested it died a most painful death with flashes of things from their worst nightmares, it was terrible!" Jack noticed how much David was shaking, and he knew David would've fallen over by now had he been standing. "I watched as they cried for help and foamed at the mouth... A couple even died in my arms... I realized that if Red leader were to find out the extent of my failure, he would try weaponizing the serum and I couldn't let anyone else die like that! So I destroyed it and got rid of all documents regarding it... Sometimes I still hear the screams at night..." David was whimpering in between words now. "As for a rage scenario, I don't think I'd be strong enough to hurt someone no matter the amount of anger, as for defence... I'm not good at putting up a fight... And even then I can't stand hurting people..." David mumbled, still visibly upset. Jack walked back over to David and decided to lay down next to him, craning his neck so as to prop his head up on top of David's. He found a bit of amusement in the fact that David's fur was as soft as his hair.
   "Do not beat yourself up about it David, there is nothing that can be done about it now," Jack reasoned. David lowered his face back down into the grass, leaving Jack to use his head as a makeshift pillow.
   "...Thanks."