Matthew Espinosa

I stood there, alone in the corner and trying not to cry. It was quite difficult though since I was at my grandfather's funeral. My parents were holding my grandmother as I searched the room, again. A friend of my mothers walked up to me, wrapping me in a hug before saying anything. "I'm so sorry, hun." I just nodded, never sure how to respond. "Why are you alone darling?" She asked, fixing her hair. "I'm waiting for someone actually." She nodded, giving me more sympathy before going over to my parents. He promise he'd come. Matthew was always there for me. Whether I was upset over a bad grade or crying because I twisted my leg, he was there. Today I needed him more than anything and he promised he be here. I started fidgeting though, he promised to be here .... an hour ago. My mother came over, rubbing my shoulder and I bit my lip, wanting to stay strong for the family. "We need to go get our seats. I don't think he's coming." I blinked back the tears, shaking my head. "But he promised." My mother gave me a look and I knew she was right, whether I wanted to believe it or not, my best friend broke his promise. I let my mother drag me to our seats. My mother held my hand while my father held the other. It was my dad's papa who had died. When the man was talking, I snuck a glance at my dad and found tears rolling down his face. That snapped my heart in half and I couldn't keep my tears in anymore. My dad lost his father and I lost my best friend. No more going to his place and watching the history channel together, no more cooking tomato soup together, and no more Christmas's were he buys me the ugliest sweaters but I loved them. My mother tucked me in a hug as I sobbed, my make up running down my face.

Once the funeral was over and people started to leave, I sat in the corner again, crying with my head in my hands. My grandmother came over and we cried together, hugging each other as if we let go, we might collapse. "I'm gonna miss him." I whispered, wiping at my face with a tissue she gave me. She nodded, patting my knee. "He's in a better place now, honey." I took in a deep breath, not wanting to cry in front of her anymore. "I love you." She smiled, wrapping me in a hug after I helped her up. "I love you too darling." I watched as she went back over to my dad. Sitting down at the chair in the corner, I tried cleaning myself up a little. I watched the people apologize and hug my family, trying to make them laugh. Finally everyone was gone except my parents and grandmother. "Ready?" My mother asked, coming over to me. I shook my head, feeling new tears threaten to spill over. "I think I'm going to say bye one more time." My mother nodded and squeezed my hand. Then they left and I was alone with my deceased pap. I walked over to his casket, looking over his happy face. "I'm gonna miss you, pap. I love you." I leaned forward on my knees and rested my head against the casket. Starting to cry again, I just couldn't believe it. He was really gone.

A few minutes later a hand touched my shoulder and I jumped up. I stared at Matthew, feeling even sadder. "Thanks for being here." I whispered, wiping my tears away and turning on my heel, walking out of the building. I didn't want to fight in there, my grandfather deserved peace. Matthew followed me out, grabbing my arm so I couldn't get in my car. "What?" I snapped, snatching my arm back. "I'm sorry. I'm so damn sorry. We had rehearsals for tour and-" I shook my head, unlocking my car door. Matt stuck his hand out so I couldn't open the door. "I can't believe you. I just lost my fucking best friend and I needed you. Yet you chose the tour rehearsals over it!? You knew I needed you here for the past two weeks! You couldn't change the damn date!? I needed a shoulder to cry on and I thought I could trust you!" As I talked, I got closer to him until our noses were an inch apart. I stared into his eyes, my heart aching. "You broke your promise. You never do. I needed you, Matt. Thanks for not being there." I whispered before quickly getting in the car and locking the door. He stood outside my door, watching me as I backed up and then drove off. Thankfully my house was only a few minutes away or I would of had to pull over from my blurred vision.

Once home, I changed into sweatpants and one of my sweaters I got from my grandpap, wiped my make up off and crawled into bed. Hugging the sweater to my body, I cried again. Really cried, letting everything out.

Three hours later I woke up from my nap. I literally cried myself to sleep. It was nearly midnight as I sat up in bed, wiping the tears and dried snot off my face. I trudged out of bed and down to the front door to make sure I locked it before I got a drink and went back to my room. The door was locked and I looked out the little window at the top of the door. Matt was sitting on my porches step in his khakis and nice shirt. I sighed, wondering if it was worth it to try talking to him or not. It was the end of January though so the poor guy was probably freezing. I sighed, opening the door. Matt spun around so fast he almost fell off the steps. I closed the door, walking over and sitting next to him on the porch steps. "I fucked up. I can't explain how sorry I am. It was unbelievably selfish of me to do what I did. I know how much he meant to you and I - god I'm such a fucking ass. If you don't want to be my friend anymore, I totally understand. I'm so sorry. You needed me." Matt shook his head, running hand through his hair as he looked out over the street. "I should just go." He whispered, pushing himself off the stairs and starting to walk down the sidewalk. I thought about it. Letting him go, but then my heart and mind slapped me. I couldn't let that happen. "Wait." I said, running after him and grabbing his arm. He turned to look down at me. "I can't lose two best friends in a day." Matt slowly smiled, wrapping his arms tightly around my waist. For a minute, my world was brought back together and everything was okay. The second he let me go though, the cursed tears came back. "He's gone. He left me." I bit down on my lip, shaking in the cold. Matt wrapped me in another hug, lying his cheek on my head. "But I'm not and I'm not leaving any time soon. He loves you." Matt helped me inside and back to my room. He got under the covers with me and let me cry on his shoulder as he held me.

And in that moment, I knew why my grandfather was always happy to see Matthew. He was there when you truly needed him.

______________________

Just trying something new. Comment what you think?? 😊