Chapter 14

"Ow!" Eliza yelps, feeling her sister touch a spot in her back that still hurt from her impact with the wall.

"Sorry, I'll be gentler..." Skye says, looking around for anything other bruises or cuts.

"That's what you said the last time!" Eliza retorts.

When Eliza hit the wall she had a pretty hard impact, she even got cut from some framed up pictures. Her leg was in a position that it shouldn't have been in and her own body had added more pressure to it.

"Hey... Skye..." Eliza mumbled, her tone changed... it was more sad... and Skye noticed.

"Yeah? What's wrong?" Skye asked.

"I'm sorry." The younger girl says.

"Sorry? For what?"

"Everything..."

"What do you mean?" Skye asked, now getting in front of her sister to look at her. Eliza only glanced away.

"You suffer through this every day... meanwhile all I do is watch. It isn't fair for you. You always protect me, meanwhile all I do is be a coward that sits through it all..." Eliza mumbles.

Skye sighed and placed her forehead on her sister's. "Don't go loathing yourself now..." She says. "You're not a coward. You actually protected me yesterday... thank you... and I want to protect you. No matter what. I will." She says, with a small smile.

Eliza smiles softly. "Okay... thank you..." She whispers. "And Jax's right. Your eyes are dead." She chuckled a little.

Skye laughed softly. "I know..."

'Skye's eyes... Stupid me... why did I bring at up...? Now all I am going to think about is...' Eliza slowly brought a hand up to lightly touch her neck. She was remembering that horrible moment. 'Your sister's life and happiness is important to you. Right?' That sent chills down her spine just thinking about it.

"Eliza? Are you okay?" An feminine voice asked, snapping the young girl out of her thoughts, she quickly pulled her hand away from her neck with a sigh.

Eliza smiled a little. "Yeah. I am." She lied... lied again about that horrible, horrible man, just for the sake of her sister's happiness.

To change the subject Eliza decided to fake a yawn. "Well I'm tired~ I'm going to rest for a little!" Eliza said getting up.

"Wait I haven't finished checking-"

"We can do that later." Eliza says before heading into the bedroom. 'I hate lying to Skye, but it's the only option... for now...'

~

Skye was lazily laying on the couch waiting for Jax. 'Where is he? He usually doesn't take this long... it's already a bit dark out... maybe it was some important sermon that Jax had to be there for and went longer than he thought.' She sighed. 'Wow from how impatient I'm being and how I'm waiting for him I really have hung out with him too much...'

Skye sat up and looked around. 'There was something I wanted to check out earlier wasn't there...?' She thought before her eyes glanced to the counter. 'That's right! The key!'

She stood and walked over to the counter. "Good... it's still here..." she mumbled before picking it up.

She stood in front of the door. "I wonder what's in here... it's probably something really 'interesting' if the door is locked." She sighed and shook her head. "Well no use thinking about it. Time to see."

Skye put the key in the lock and wiggled it around until she heard a click. "Ha!... it opened!" She mumbles.

She opened the door and she froze... her eyes widened.

~

"Damn. That took forever." A male mumbled opened the door to his apartment.

"Skye?!..." His voice dragged out as he noticed his 'living room' was dark, the tv was off as well. "Skye?" He mumbled, confused. She'd usually wait for him on the couch. "She's probably in the bedroom. I did take a while..." He mumbles, kind of feeling guilty.

He walked into the hall and noticed the bedroom door was wide open and things were thrown everywhere. "What happened here?" Jax asked to no one in particular.

He then glanced to the side and noticed a certain door was actually open a bit.

"What's this?" He mumbles, placing his hand on the knob and pushing the door open more.

His hand dropped from the doorknob and shook a little. Not from fear, or shock... but from adrenaline... something he never felt... but had before?

He looked at the object in the room. "This is..." He whispered.

He then looked at the ground, then back at the object. Some unfamiliar, yet familiar, instinct took over him.

He let out a small laugh... a 'killer' laugh.

"Heh..."

~

"Skye! What's going on?!" A young girl asked, her older sister was pulling the younger one along, and it was kind of in a rush.

"I'll explain it in a minute, but we need to head somewhere safe! Now!" Skye says, her grip getting a bit tighter.

That's been her same response for the past 5 minutes and Eliza was getting annoyed. She ripped her wrist from her sister's grasp.

"No!" Eliza says. "Tell me what's going on!"

Skye had a worried look on her face, but her eyes grew dark. Eliza noticed.

"You're scaring me..." Eliza says. "Please just tell me..."

Skye bit her lip and looked around, she then sighed. "Okay... but let's find somewhere to sit for a moment."

~

The two siblings were now sitting down in a small restaurant, neither made eye contact with the other.

"When are you going to tell me what happened?" Eliza asked.

Skye sighed and looked her sister in the eyes. "Promise me you won't scream, or freak out in any sort of way."

Eliza nodded. "I promise."

Skye sighed again, she didn't want to remember it... hell she didn't even want to believe the object that she saw is what she really saw. "You know that room next to the bedroom?"

"The one that's always locked?" Eliza mumbles, Skye nodded. "Yeah. What about it?"

"I found the key to it on the counter earlier." Skye says.

"Huh? I thought you said, only the guy that bought Jax's place had the key?" Eliza says.

"Yeah... well there was a spare." She glanced down at the table they were at and glanced back up at her sister. "I opened the door and there was something in there. A scythe."

Eliza's eyes widened. "You mean like the one they accused the serial killer of having?" Skye nodded. "That could just be a fake, right? There's no way Jax is the serial killer, right?"

Skye looked down and then up again, she was about to cry... "There was blood... actual blood in that room too..."

"Skye..."

"I don't want to believe it. I don't. The Jax I know wouldn't do that stuff. Right?" Skye mutters. "But I know in the back of my mind... that it would all lead back to Jax..."

'Does this mean that... he lied to me...?'

'He said he hated liars... but was that all a setup...? The Jax that saved me, the Jax I've known for over a year now... my best friend... was he lying to me...? Our promise... 'What Happens After Death?' That promise... was that just a way of getting me to trust him...'

'I can feel my heart... it's breaking... my head... is hurting... Jax... how could you?'