Chapter 20

"...Jax!"

Skye was so surprised, yet so happy. The man she had wanted to see, had came to save her.

Jax stepped on Morgan's corpse. "Sorry to interrupt whatever the hell this was." The man smirked a bit. "But I need to take back what's mine."

'What's mine.' Skye smiled a little, the way he said it, made her heart beat fast, sure it wasn't the right time, but she was still extremely happy. "Yeah..." was all she responded with.

Jax then held out his hand. "You ready to go?" He asked.

Skye nodded. "Yeah. I've never been readier." She says, putting her hand in his.

Jax grinned and held her hand. He guided her out the way he came in, but he was careful, making sure she wouldn't get cut by glass.

"Okay!" He says, once they're out of the small window. "We need to get to the church, the old man wants to see us. So let's grab the brat and-"

"The brat... you mean, Eliza is... she's alive?!" Skye says in disbelief, tears present in her eyes.

"Huh? What do you mean? Of course the brat's alive." Jax says. "What did that creep tell you?"

"W-Well by the way he said it... it sounded like he meant he killed Eliza." Skye muttered.

"Nah, just threw her away in an alley, hoping I'd get her." Jax says. "She's at the apartment and waiting for you." He smiled a bit.

"Well then let's go. And after that I have a few things to say to the reverend." The girl says.

~

"Skye! You're okay!" The ten year old practically jumped on her sister, crying.

"Of course I'm okay." Skye says, wiping the tears from the younger girl's eyes.

"I thought the doctor was going to kill you!" Eliza says.

"Nah, I told her I'd bring her back safe and sound." Jax says with a smirk.

"And you did..." Eliza mumbles. "Thank you." She whispered.

Jax chuckled. "Was that an actual thanks from you?" He says. "Do you mind saying it again?" It was always fun to mess with the younger girl.

Skye sighed. "Jax...-"

"Do you really want me to kick your ass?" Eliza threatens.

The man just laughed, a bit nervous, but still laughed. "I was kidding. Calm down."

While the two were bickering Skye sighed a bit. She smiled though, everything seemed fine now. Everything seemed... normal. Well, their normal at least.

"Oh. Right. Jax, didn't we need to meet with the reverend?" Skye asked.

"Ah, fuck that's right." Jax mumbles. "Yeah, let's go. I don't want the man to wait long..."

"You should put the scythe away first." Both sisters mumble.

"No time. And besides, what if we run into more sickfucks." Jax says, before leaving the apartment, again.

The girl's followed behind him. Skye was about to close the door but she froze for a moment. 'I've got this strange feeling in my chest... something's bugging me... what is it?' 

"Skye?!" Jax called out.

"C-Coming!" She yelled back, before running back inside.

~

"Old man! We're back!" Jax shouted, kicking open the doors of the church.

"Jax, you should be more subtle, what if people were actually here?" Skye whispers.

Jax grumbled something before saying. "I'll think about doing that next time..." he whispered back.

The trio walked inside the church, only to be greeted by the priest.

"Ah, welcome back, Jax. And I see you brought Miss Skye as well." He says. He then glanced down at the younger girl by Skye. "And I suppose this is her sister?"

"Yeah. Now what did you want to talk about. And make it quick." Jax said.

"Jax, don't be rude..." Skye mutters. "Anyways, we heard you had some business with us and I had a few things to say to you as well."

"I see, well there's a private place in the back of the church where we can talk... but, I'm afraid the younger girl will have to stay out here." Gray says.

"Huh?! Why? I'm with them, I should be involved too!" Eliza says.

"Listen kid-" Jax got cut off.

"Eliza. Please sit out here, I promise that it will only take a few minutes..." Skye says, ruffling the young girl's head.

Eliza pouted and sat on one of the pews. "Fine..." She mumbles.

"Well, now that that's settled. Let's go." Skye says.

~

"Wait...! What?!" Jax and Skye said, quite surprised.

The priest just smiled, it seems his offer had gotten their attention.

"Y-You're really saying that you could find a way for us to live far away from here. In a nice place, with no more harm?" Skye says.

"I can. The only thing is I need time to plan it out. So you'd have to finish up your school year, and Jax has to stop with his killings." Gray explains.

"I already decided I wouldn't do that anymore, old man." Jax says. "So plan it out as quick as you can. I wanna be out of this pain of a city."

The priest gave Jax a smug expression. "I understand." He then turned to the blonde. "Now didn't you have something to say to me as well, Miss Gardner?"

"Yeah... I did... you knew that we reincarnated, right?" Skye asked.

"Yes. I knew that. Ever since I met Jax in that alleyway as a young child. I knew it was Isaac, but in a new life." The priest said. "I assumed the rest of you were reincarnated as well."

Jax grumbled something, he looked a bit bothered by what he said.

Skye decided not to pry right now and continue the conversation with the priest. "I see... well thank you for answering my questions. I hope to hear about the new home soon."

"I'll get the paperwork done as soon as I can. So, please be patient until then."

"Will do." The girl replied.

"Then I suppose that is all." The older male said.

After the priest said that, Jax grabbed Skye's hand and pulled her out of the back room.

"Hey, Jax. What's wrong?" Skye asked, he looked a bit uneasy.

"I didn't want you to know that all my pasts were similar..." Jax says. "I wanted you to see me as a good person... but based on what's been happening for the past few days, it's kinda impossible." He let out a sad laugh.

"Jax..." Skye mumbles. He looked at the floor, too guilty to look her in the eyes. She sighed and kissed him on the forehead. "Jax... it's okay. No matter who you are, or how you act. I'll always care about you. You're my best friend." She gave him a smile.

It was so genuine. So nice. So... beautiful.

"Skye..." He mutters. 'It hurts... why does it hurt? I'm glad she is calling me a friend. I'm glad that we're close. So why am I... so mad. Why does it hurt?'

"Jax...?" He looked frustrated. "Jax what's wron- mh!"

'Stop talking... for right now. Let me have this.'