Chapter 3: Good Morning, New York

Evan's POV

I took Leslie to the adoption agency about two weeks ago. She was nervous about going there, so I assumed she had run away from there. After some convincing, she finally went with me. I found out she did indeed run away after being sent back by many families. After a lot of meetings, arguments and paperwork, she is officially Leslie Marks. I know it's usually a much longer and harder process... I guess they were just so desperate to see her find a home.

Over those two weeks, everyone at the precinct had heard about her. They have all been begging to meet her. I told them the news yesterday that the adoption was now official. They teased me all day yesterday calling me dad whenever they addressed me.

Today, I'm taking her to the precinct for the first time. She's a little nervous, but I think she's also excited. I take her hand and lead her towards the door, but before I can even reach it, I hear Tess yell my name.

"Evan!" She yells. "Is that her?"

I nod at her, and she looks down at the little girl clinging to my hand. Leslie hides behind me as Tess approaches. Tess laughs and smiles. Tess squats down so that she's at her eye level.

"Hello, Leslie," Tess says. She still hides behind me. She doesn't say anything.

"Can you say 'hey' to Tess, Les?" I ask her. She squeezes my hand a little tighter, but she peaks her head out and looks at Tess.

"Hi," she says quietly. Tess smiles at her.

"Why don't we go inside," I state as we walk towards the precinct door. When we enter the building, the whole room nearly explodes when they see Les. The whole room swarms us. Part of me thinks she may have a heart attack. Out of everyone, I think she likes Cat the best.

She seems much calmer when I take her down to the morgue. It's just me and her down here... well and a dead guy. This guy has multiple lacerations on his neck and torso. It's almost like an animal attack. Leslie stares at the body and the lacerations.

"It almost looks like claws," she says looking down at her own hand.

"Yeah," I say. "Yeah it does."