Chapter 22

Leslie's POV

We have a funeral for dad a week after his death. Vincent and I managed to make a makeshift headstone. According to the rest of NYPD, dad is on the run. He deserved so much more than this. We had no body to bury. It was left at Muirfield. We buried on empty casket, well almost empty. His casket contained a few items from all of us from memories that we had of him. There was a DNA test tube, pictures, even a shot glass. When it came time for me to put my things in, I was already sobbing. Each item that I placed in the casket felt like a knife to me heart.

I place in a picture of dad and I from the day he adopted me. He had the picture everywhere. It meant so much to him. I also put in a copy of my adoption papers. I placed the notepad that he had found that had led to him finding me. Lastly... I place in the very note that I had been writing on the day he had caught me on the fire escape. It had a few minor changes though. Beside "who am I," I had written, "My name is Leslie Marks." Beside "what am I," I had written, "Loved." Beside "will I ever find a family," I had written, "Yes. I found the best dad that anyone could ask for. His name was Evan Marks. He was my dad and my best friend. I love him." I place it in the casket, and Vincent closes the casket. We all help to lower the casket into the ground. After, we all say words about dad and place dirt on the casket.

I stay long after the casket is buried. I sit on my knees in front of the headstone. I talk to dad for a while. I like to think that he now watches over me. He's now like my guardian angel. I cry some more while I talk to him. I tell him how much I miss him and how much I love him.

Eventually, Vincent comes back. He places his hand on my shoulder. I stand up and face him.

"What do we do now?" I ask him.

"Survive..."

-----------------
Credits:

See You Again by Wiz Khalifa

Uploaded by: TROOPER BOY