Chapter 9

Vincent's POV

Muirfield kidnapped Catherine. They let her go, but I know this isn't the end of it. She's on their radar. I bet anything that Leslie is as well. I won't risk losing either one of them.

I hate what I have to do. I hate it with a passion, but it may be the only way to save both of them and JT. I won't let anyone else get hurt or killed because of me. I won't. I've drawn my blood as a failsafe. I've called the number that Muirfield gave Catherine.

I can see the Muirfield agents. There about four or five of them. I know Catherine, Les and JT will be past angry at me for this, but I'd rather them be mad and alive.

I approach the agents, who cuff me. Before they can take me away, I hear a car pull up. Catherine and JT step out of the car.

"Vincent!" Cat yells. "Don't do this!"

"It's too late!" The lead agent yells. "He's already made the decision for you!"

"Vincent," JT says. "You have so many reasons not to go with them! Don't do it!"

"I'm doing this to protect you. I'm protecting you, Catherine and..." I stop before I say Leslie's name.

"She's the reason you shouldn't," JT replies.

What do you mean by that?

Catherine raises her gun, but before she can do anything, we hear a roar from a distance.

No. Leslie no.

But it's too late. I see her spring off of a roof. She is completely beasted out. The agents seem baffled. They look at her with wide eyes. They raise their weapons to shoot. I run at her and tackled her before a bullet hits her. I then run back and take out the man that shot at her.

No one and I mean NO ONE hurts them.

Catherine, JT, Les and I manage to... subdue the agents. When it's all over, I turn to Leslie. She's not smiling. She has a stubborn look on her face.

"Why in the world did you come here?" I snap at her.

"We weren't gonna let them take you," she tells me. She has a new found confidence in her voice. I'm so taken aback by it that I don't respond for a moment.

"I could've lost you," I say wrapping my arms around her. "Same thing with both of you."

"It was worth the risk," Catherine states. "So what happens now? Do more of them come after us?"

"No," I tell her. "He was the only one that knew about you."

"Well," JT says. "All of Muirfield knows about you."

"I'm more concerned about cleaning up this mess," I say.

"Vincent," Catherine starts. "It's the middle of the day. You should go."

"No," I tell her. "I'm not leaving you with this. Go back to the case. Figure out what happened to the kid."

With that, she and Leslie leave, and JT and I start to clean up. I turn to ask JT a question while we're cleaning.

"What did you mean by what you told me earlier?" I ask him.

"About what?" He acts like he's confused, but he's starting to sweat and his heart rate is increasing.

"About Les," I respond. "What did you mean by she's the reason I should've turned myself in?"

"Oh," he says. "You two have just gotten so close."

He's lying.

"So that's the whole reason?"

"Yeah."

Still lying.

"Ok," I tell him. I know something's up, but I don't feel like prying right now.

What is he keeping from me?