Chapter 17

Catherine's POV

I go to where Vincent and I set a rendezvous point. I wait becoming more and more anxious as time passes. I fear for all of them: Vincent, JT... Leslie.

Are they still alive? What will do if they didn't make it? What will Evan do if she's...
Luckily, this thought leaves my head as I see Vincent approaching. He sits down on the bench behind me.

"I'm happy to see you," he says.

"You have no idea," I say sighing with relief.

"I'm sorry I took so long," he explains. "I had to make sure that they weren't following us. Catherine, these Muirfield guys knew exactly where we were, I'm talking exact coordinates. It just, it doesn't make sense."

"It does um... Evan tipped them off," I tell him solemnly.

"How do you know?" He asks.

"He told me. He saw us together at my apartment two nights ago, and then he followed you to the tunnels from there... I mean... maybe if I had just been honest with him sooner..."

Am I to blame for this?

"Catherine, come on. It's not your fault."

"It is my fault. I let him take things too far especially his feelings... for me. You should've heard him."

"What did he say?"

"That we could never be together. That our love would never work out. He was upset."

"Well, he sent a death squad after me... not to mention Les."

Leslie... oh my gosh! She didn't walk up with him!

"Leslie!" I exclaim. "Where is she?!"

He looks in the direction of the nearby trees.

"It's ok," he whispers. "You can come out."

As he says this, I see a small figure with auburn hair peek out from behind one of the trees. She looks back and forth from left to right. Even at this distance, I can see her trembling. This shook her to her core.

She looks at Vincent and says something. Without their hearing, I don't know what she's saying.

"I promise," he says softly. "It's ok. Just walk slowly to me."

She shakes her head. She's still shaking. She's staying really close to the tree. She's scared to death.

"Look at me," he tells her gently. "Just look at me. Don't look anywhere else. Just walk to me."

As he says this, he holds out his hands and begins to walk towards her. She starts to walk nervously towards him. I watch them both walk slowly towards each other, Leslie steps are wobbly and unsteady almost like a newborn's, until she places her hands in his. He places his arms around her and guides her over to me.

"See," he says. "It's alright. It's all gonna be just fine."

She nods her head. Tears are flowing down her cheeks. Her facial expression is one of terror, but less than it was. She seems more sure. She feels safer.

"Hey," I say as I extend my arms. "Come here."

She walks to me, and I embrace her. She holds on to me. She then whispers into my ear.

"Did..." she starts before losing her voice and bursting into more tears.

"What is it, sweetheart?" I ask.

"Did daddy... did daddy do this?" She questions with a shaky voice.

"I'm sorry," I tell her. "He didn't know you were there. I know that's not much, but he's worried sick. He was crying when I left him. He thought you didn't make it. I know you may not believe it right now, but he loves you more than anything."

"But Cat," She says. "He... he thinks we're monsters... Cat... am I... am I a monster?"

"No!" I exclaim. "No! No! No! You're not a monster. I promise."

"Where is he?" She asks.

"Someone went and got him. I think he's heading home," I tell her.

"Can I..." She doesn't even have to finish. I know what she's going to ask. I sigh.

"I'm not sure that's the best idea," I say.

"Please, Catherine," she begs. "Please..."

"Ok," I sigh. "But I'm going with you."

"Thank you..." she says.

Assuming Evan will be going home, we head to the subway station. We looks around until Leslie finally sees him going around a corner. She walks quickly in that direction with me right behind her.

"Evan!" I yell as we round the corner. He turns to face us. When he sees Les his eyes go wide. He bursts into tear and runs full speed turns her. He wraps his arms around her, picks her her and pulls her to himself. Part of me waits for her to relax... Anytime she's been scared of anything, Evan has always calmed her. I see her relax some, but she's still tense. I'm not the only one that notices this.

"Are you ok?" he asks her.

She doesn't say anything. She just nods her head.

"Did they hurt you?" He asks.

She shakes her head. Evan puts her down slowly. He pushes her hair behind her ear, and looks her in the eye.

"What is it?" he questions.

"Why?" Leslie asks.

"Why what?" He sounds confused.

"... Why did you send them, daddy?" She asks in the voice of an innocent, betrayed child.

Evan is silent for a moment. He lowers his head and gaze in shame.

"I'm sorry," he starts. "I had no idea you were there. When you called Catherine... I thought I had lost you. I... I thought that... that I had killed you. I would've never forgiven myself. You mean so much to me," his voice breaks as tear fall down his face, "I'm... I'm so sorry."

She doesn't respond to him with words. She just places her arms around him. He does likewise. They are both crying now.

"But dad," she says. "You said that he is a monster... but... but I'm the same thing. So does that make me-"

Evan stops her before she can continue, "No. No. You are not a monster. Oh, sweetheart, I could never think that. You are beautiful. You are kind and loving. You are not and will never be a monster. I love you."

"I love you too, dad," she responds.

"Ok," he tells her. "We need to get you home or anywhere out of harm's way."

"I'll take her home," I say.

With that, he hugs her once again and kisses her forehead.

"I'll meet you at home," he says to her.

We turn to leave the station, and I take her home. And oh, looking back, how we now wish that Evan's last statement had been true...