Chapter 14

Leslie's POV

Like many days, I've spent this one in the morgue. JT and dad are working on their project. Really, JT is just trying to keep dad off of Vincent's trail. JT seems more on edge than normal. He keeps talking to dad about a secret organization...

Holy cow... Muirfield...

"Do you mean Muirfield?" I mouth to JT.
JT nods his head. My heart rate quickens. These guys have tried to kill all of us multiple times.

Do they know about dad?

I listen to their conversation only to learn that the truth is much worse than I could've guessed... my dad is working with them. That means he's working with the guys that are after Vincent and I. That news hits me like a brick. I know there's no way he can know what they are but the fact that he's working with them... I just can't believe it.

When we get home that day, I try to hold in tears. What happens when dad gets deeper into this? What happens if he figures out who Vincent is? What happens if he figures out what I am?...

Would he... no he couldn't. But is it possible? Would he hunt me like they do if he knew what I was?

I can't help but feel almost lonely thinking about this. It feels like dad is a million miles from me. I can't help but ask would he actually come after me. I tell myself that there's no way he would, but doubt creeps into my mind.

"Dad," I start. "What organization thing did you get involved with that you were talking to Professor Forbes was about?"

"They're an organization called Muirfield," he says. "They made a mistake. An experiment went wrong, and now they have made beast like creatures. They're trying to fix their mistake."

"By hunting these people," I respond in a harsher tone than I thought.

Dad looks shocked. My tone caught him off guard.

"Well," he begins. "Would you want these... these... monsters running around the streets?"

"But they're people! They're human beings, and they want to just kill them or worse experiment on them!"

"Leslie, they're monsters. They're killers. They have to be stopped... by any means necessary."

With that, I lose it. I run out the door. I take off towards the chemical plant at full speed. I don't even knock when I get there. I bust through the door and run straight to Vincent. I throw my arms around him, bury my head in his chest and sob.

"Woah, woah, woah," Vincent says. "What is it?"

I don't respond. I just continue to cry. He wraps his arms around me, and pulls me into himself. He brings me to the couch where we sit down. He just holds me a while. He gently strokes my hair as I cry. He doesn't say anything. He just does his best to comfort me.

I hear the door open. I turn to see Catherine come in. She stops in her tracks when she sees me. I look up at her with red, tear filled eyes. She bolts over to me and kneels down so that she's eye to eye with me.

"What happened?" She says frantically. "I've never seen you like this."

I don't answer. I just bury my head in Vincent.

"What happened?" I hear her whisper to him. "Evan is flipping out. He said he can't find her anywhere. He's worried sick."

"I don't know," he replies. "She ran in like this about 25 minutes ago. She's been freaking out ever since."