Chapter 8

J.T.'s POV

Three Years Later...

Great, a detective knows. This is exactly what we needed, and it's even better because it's HER.

A few days ago, a cop showed up at our door. She was asking questions because Vincent's fingerprints were at a crime scene. She later found Vincent, and now she knows about all of this. But to make this even better, it's Catherine freaking Chandler.

Part of me actually can't wait to see what happens when Les finds out. She knows Catherine because apparently she knows her dad... well adoptive dad. I still don't know how to tell her or Vincent about who she is. I don't know how she'll react and it'll pretty much stab Vincent through the heart to know he wasn't there for her.

She came over today to deal with a case. Apparently a judge or someone was killed. Vincent has been sneaking around to see her, and now they're sending notes back and forth. I swear, they're gonna sign all of our death certificates. He hasn't been nearly as careful as he has in the past.

Cat came over earlier today to ask Vincent about why he believed Iris was innocent. She wasn't entirely happy to learn he was following her. We haven't heard too much from her besides that. Of course that's until she comes over to see Vincent and seems panicked. I didn't catch exactly what was happening before they rushed out.

Leslie comes over about two hours later. She's bored because her dad is at work, so she's by herself. She obviously came looking for Vincent, but since he wasn't there, she just stayed with me. I'm currently still comparing the samples I got from her and Vincent.

"What're you doing, J.T.?" she asks.

"Well, I'm trying to figure out how similar your beast DNA is to Vincent's," I tell her.

"Cool," she responds. "What've you come up with?"

"Well, it's very similar. Almost identical." When I tell her this, I'm not just talking about the animal DNA. With all of the similarities in the human DNA, almost anyone could figure out that she's his daughter. Of course, she doesn't know I'm talking about that. I know I'm just trying to protect her, but it still feels wrong not telling them.

I know she suspects something. She's made that clear, even if she doesn't know it. She's on to me. If she knows, that gives her a more likely chance for Muirfield to find her.

Vincent calls me for me to bring him something. Leslie holds down the fort while I'm gone. I bring it to Vincent to learn that Iris has two sisters that are here illegally. One is sick. Iris is willing to go to jail to protect her sisters. I ask myself is this the reason I'm not telling Vincent about Leslie. Am I trying to protect them or am I too scared to tell them?

When we get back, Les is waiting for us. She smiles at us when we get in. Vincent actually walks up and hugs her... and I think I'm gonna cry. He's already like a father to her in a way.

We don't spend much time together before we get a call from Catherine. One of the bartenders, Sam, is going after the girls. Vincent rushes out the door with Leslie following closely behind him. I can hear them arguing about her coming. When they stop, I can tell Leslie won because she didn't come back. After the argument stops, they rush towards Iris's apartment.

Vincent's POV

We get to Iris's house and Leslie follows me to the basement level where the girls are. Sam is down there. He jumps at Les who quickly deflects him. Before he can jump at her again, I take him down. I may have used more force than necessary, but no one hurts that little girl... not on my watch.