Three

Monday - 8:46am

I turn a corner and see my school directly in front of me. It's a three storey building with windows and balconies all along it. I take a deep breath and walk to the gate. A group of boys stand at the front, watching as people go in. A blonde one looks at me and draws attention by waving. The rest of the group looks to who he's waving at.

"Isla, hey!"

"Hi," I reply as I get nearer.

"What'd you do on the weekend?"

"Not much, you?"

"Watched the footy. 'was a good win for Richmond."

"Yeah, I heard about that. I've gotta go though, see you later." I say and walk past. I stand on the side of the courtyard, looking around to see if I could find any of my friends. I spot Taliah, my brunette friend, and am about to go over to her when someone grabs my arm. I turn around to see a dark-haired boy standing inches from me. I take a step back.

"Hi," I say, looking up at him. I'm not that short but he still towers over me.

"Isla, I wanted to tell you something." He lets go of my arm and runs his hand through his hair.

"Yeah what's up?"

"Well, I've seen you around and I was just wondering if -"

Someone else calls my name and I look towards them. I groan when I see my maths teacher storming towards me, one of her thickest textbooks in her hand.

I look back to the boy. "Give me a second."

He nods and takes a step back.

"Hi miss, how can I help you." I say to the teacher.

"You can help me by handing your work in on time." Her face is bright red and steam is practically coming off of her.

I frown. "What do you mean?"

This seems to make her angrier. "What do I mean? I mean your two assignments from last week haven't been handed in. That's what I mean."

My expression becomes even more confused. "Miss, I handed them both in two weeks ago."

"No. You. Did. Not." If I wasn't about to be verbally murdered, I might've laughed at how angry she was. Unfortunately, I was about to be verbally murdered.

"Um, have you checked your desk?"

"Of course I have! Do you really think I'm -" She stopped talking mid sentence and a look of realisation washed over her. She squeaked a small "oh" and walked (at high speed) back the way she came.

I shake my head and turn back to the boy (who I've figured out is Jason).

"Sorry about that. What where you saying?"

"Oh, n-nothing important."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, yeah. Look I've gotta go. I'll see ya later." He turns and walks off, leaving me standing alone.

Great.