Sixteen

Sunday - 1:33 pm

There's an awkward pause, my mom and his looking between us, trying to piece together some imaginary puzzle.

"Isla," My mother breaks the silence. "Why don't you tell our guests about your interests."

I look at mother with an extremely confused look on my face. She looks at me expectantly.

"Ok, um, well, I, er, I like music." I stop, trying to think of another thing about me. It's a lot harder when I'm put on the spot.

"Do you play any instruments?" Ralph asks me.

"Uh, yeah, I do."

"Like what?"

"Anything really. But I like the bassoon the most."

There's a moment where no one speaks before my mom continues to boast for me.

"Isla's also represented the state for hockey, and she has the voice of an angel."

I look down to my lap again, using all the strength in me to not facepalm.

"She's also an incredible artist."

"Mom, stop," I mumble, barely loud enough for her to hear.

We make eye contact before I see her eyes light up. She has an idea.

"Why don't you go show Ruel your studio." She suggests.

"Do I have to?" I whine. Mom gives me a warning look, and I huff and stand up. Ruel stands too, and I lead him to the room at the end of the passageway.

I unlock the door and step to the side, allowing the boy to walk in.

"Why is there a lock on the door?" He asks as he walks in, looking around.

"Because." I shrug, closing the door as I get in.

"That's not an answer." He looks at me, and I look anywhere but at him.

"Why do you care?"

"I don't."

"Then why'd you ask?"

"I'm just trying to make a conversation."

"That's not the way to do it."

He looks like he's about to reply, but instead walks to the other side of the room, sitting on a lonely stool.

"So you sing?" Ruel asks, pointing to the microphone beside him.

I shrug. "I guess. I'm not as good as you though."

I watch as he smiles slightly, trying to hide it by picking up a guitar.

The keyword is trying.

If anything, the smile widened. He then started coughing, but violently.

"You good bro?" I laugh at him.

"Do you have any water?" He asks between coughs.

"Yeah, I'll get you some."

I run out of the room to the kitchen. I grab a bottle of water before running back. I then hear my mother.

"Are you two playing something?" She asks.

"No, Ruel's too busy dying."

~

A/N:

*nervous laughter*

so

i wrote this

and I have to do maths

because it's due tomorrow

and i've done none

but

that's fine

this is the part where i get chocolate cake

farewell