Chapter 7

OUTDOOR EATING AREA (John's Pov)

"Is Thomas really, really mad at me? I said I was sorry," I told Peggy.

"Look, no one has beaten out Thomas for a musical since kindergarten," She said.

"I wasn't trying to beat anyone out. We didn't even audition, we were just singing," I replied.

"You won't convince Thomas of that. I'm telling you, if that guy could figure out a way to play both Romeo and Juliet, even James would be aced out of a job," She joked with me.

"I told you it just happened, but I liked it. A lot. Did you ever feel like there's this whole other person inside of you just looking for a way to come out?" I admitted.

"Not really, no," She said. We looked at each other and burst into a fit of laughter, but were soon interrupted by the bell ringing announcing that lunch was over.

"Let's go," Peggy told me.

TIME SKIP- THOMAS' LOCKER

Thomas opened his locker to examine the damage to his clothes, as Hercules approached him.

"Hey, Thomas, I thought that since Alex is going to be in your show..." Herc started, but was stopped by Thomas holding his finger up.

"Alexander Hamilton is not in my show," He stated firmly.

"Ok, umm... well, I just thought maybe you could watch me play ball sometime or something," Herc told him, shuffling nervously.

"I'd rather stick pins in my eyes," Thomas said with a straight face.

"Wouldn't that be awfully uncomfortable?" Hercules joked.

"Evaporate, tall person!" Thomas spat at him with venom, turning around and facing the mirror again, before storming off.

"I bake! It that helps," Herc said calling after him

JOHN'S LOCKER (John's Pov obvi.)

I opened my locker, letting a folded up note fall out. I picked up the note and read it. Alex wanted me to meet him on the roof. I wonder why. I grinned at his silliness, before racing up the school stairway.

SCIENCE CLUB ROOF

"Wow! It's like a jungle up here," I said.

"Yeah, just like that cafeteria," Alex smiled at me.

"Where I just humiliated myself into the next century," I said sadly, looking down.

"No! Come on," he said, looking at me and taking my hands in his own.

"So this is your private hideout?" I asked him standing up.

"Yeah. Thanks to the science club. Which means that my buddies don't even know it exists," He laughed.

"You pretty much have the school wired, don't you Alex? Seems to me like everyone on campus wants to be your friend," I grinned at him.

"Unless we lose," he laughed.

"I'm sure it's tricky being the coach's son," I said.

"He makes me practice a little harder, I guess. i don't know what he's gonna say when he finds out about the singing," He said looking away.

"You worried?" I said taking his hand in mine, and rubbing circles on his palm with my thumb. He nodded. "I saw the way you treated Eliza at the audition yesterday. Do your friends know that guy?"

"To them, I'm the play maker dude," He said.

"Then they don't know enough about you, Alex. At my other schools I was the freaky math guy. It's cool coming here and being anyone I want to be. When I was singing with you I just felt like... a guy," I admitted.

"You even look like one, too," he said. I giggled softly at his joke.

"Do you remember in kindergarten how you'd meet a kid and know nothing  about them, then ten seconds later you're playing like you're best  friends because you didn't have to be anything but yourself," I said.

"Yeah," he replied.

"Singing with you felt like that," I giggled.

"Well, um... I never thought about singing. That's for sure. Till you," He told me.

"So you really wanna do the callbacks?" I asked him.

"Hey, just call me freaky callback boy," he grinned at me.

"You're a cool guy, Alex. But not for reasons your friends think. And thanks for showing me your top-secret hiding place. Like kindergarten," I told him giggling. Our conversation was interrupted by the bell ringing. We both sighed, as he took my hand and walked inside with me.