Chapter 11

John sat there staring at the wall heartbroken, as the ecstatic Wildcats left the locker room with Alex.

"Wildcats!" Laff shouted.

"Get your head in the game! Whoo! Let's go!" All the boys, including Alex yelled.

John was still sitting in the classroom, when he heard some commotion from the window. The Wildcats were throwing a celebration. John observed from the window, tears trickling down his face, as he watched the team lift up Alex and chant his name over and over again.

It's funny when you find yourself
Looking from the outside
I'm standing here but all I want
Is to be over there

Why did I let myself believe
Miracles could happen?
'Cause now I have to pretend
That I don't really care

I thought you were my fairy tale
A dream when I'm not sleeping
A wish upon a star
That's coming true

But everybody else could tell
That I confused my feelings with the truth
When there was me and you

I swore I knew the melody
That I heard you singing
And when you smiled you made me feel
Like I could sing along

But then you went and changed the words
Now my heart is empty
I'm only left with used-to-be's
And once upon a song

Now I know you're not a fairy tale
And dreams were meant for sleeping
And wishes on a star
Just don't come true

'Cause now even I can tell
That I confused my feelings with the truth
Because I liked the view
When there was me and you

I can't believe that I could be so blind
It's like you were floating while I was falling
And I didn't mind

'Cause I liked the view
I thought you felt it too
When there was me and you

John walked over to his locker as Alex, who was unaware that John knows what he said, made his way over to him.

"Hey, how you doin'?" John stayed silent, "Listen, there's something I wanna talk to you about."

"And here it is: I know what it's like to carry a load with your friends. I get it. You've got your boys, Alex. It's OK. So we're good," John spat turning to face him.

"Good about what? I was gonna talk to you about the final callbacks," Alex said confused.

"I don't wanna do the callbacks either. Who are we trying to kid? You've got your team and now I've got mine. I'll do the scholastic decathlon and you'll win the championships. It's where we belong," he said reaching into his locker and handing Alex his copy of 'Breaking Free',  "Go, Wildcats."

"But I..." Alex said, trying to form words.

"Me neither," John told him, walking away.

"John?" Alex said lost for words.

The Wildcat parade soon arrived at the lockers where Alex was standing

"Go Wildcats!" The crowd roared, as Alex stood frozen in the middle of the hallway.

OUTDOOR BASKETBALL COURT

"Hey, Captain!" Laff shouted to Alex as he passed by the courts where the Wildcats were practicing. Laff tried to give Alex the basketball he was carrying, but Alex refused to take it an fan off.

"What's with Alex?" Hercules asked Lafayette.

"Don't worry about it," Laff told him, brushing it off.

ALEX'S HOUSE

Coach Washington walked out onto the porch, to watch Alex who was currently shooting some hoops. Alex missed again and again. In his anger he caught a missed shot and hurled the ball against the side gate, sinking to his knees with his head in his hands.

MEANWHILE

John stood on his deck in deep thought as tears streamed down his face, and quiet sobs wracked at his body.