Chapter 16

Laff, Alex, Burr and Herc all entered their home room. Alex and Laff ran around behind John and Peggy, and covered their eyes while Herc brings in a cake.

"A pi pie," Hercules joked. Alex and Laff removed their hands, as John and Peggy both gasped when they saw the cake.

"Oh my goodness!" Peggy shouted.

"Oh my gosh!" John squealed, looking over to Alex and smiling at him.

"What? Thank you! Oh, we have something for you, too," Peggy told the boys.

"Yeah, come here, look," John said, motioning for them to come closer. The boys walked over to the marker board that was filled with a large a equation and a diagram of a basketball player about to shoot the ball.

"Ta-da!" John and Peggy screamed.

"Oh... it's an equation," Alex said, playing with the hem of his shirt. John rolled his eyes, but giggled at Alex's attitude. He turned the board over to reveal a poster of a large Wildcat making a basket with the words "GO! Wildcat Hoopsters!" next to it.

"Oh! That's awful," The boys told them jokingly. As they stood appraising the image, John and Peggy began bombarding the Wildcats with plush basketballs

Alex, Herc, and Burr exited the classroom, as Laff brought James and Thomas over, with Mr. George following behind them.

"Stay right there. Watch," Laff told Thomas.

"From our team, to yours," Alex said smiling. The entire Wildcat team was in formation in the hallway. Under their windbreakers they each had a letter printed on their shirt, spelling out G-O-D-R-A-M-A-C-L-U-B-!

"Well, seems we Wildcats are in for an interesting afternoon,"  Mr. George said laughing

Thomas seemed very please with the Wildcat's offering. James on the other hand was still trying to figure out what it said.

"G-O-D... dra.. Go dra... Go dray..." He attempted to sound it out.

"Ugh!" Thomas screeched at him.

"Drame?" James asked.

The school bell rang, and students from every classroom along the hall filled the empty corridor, all heading to the Wildcats game.

GYM

The gym was filled to the brim with spectators, as the cheerleaders did a routine. The game was about to commence. Coach Washington went into the locker room to have a word with his son.

"How you feeling?" He asked.

"Nervous," Alex replied, twirling his thumbs.

"Yeah, me too. Wish I could suit up and play alongside you," Washington joked.

"Hey, you had your turn," Alex laughed with him. Things had obviously gotten better between the two.

"You know what I want from you today?" Coach Washington asked.

"The championship," Alex said, looking his father in the eyes.

"Well, that'll come or it won't. What I want is for you to have fun. I know all about the pressure. And probably too much of it has come from me. What I really want is to see my son having the time of his life playing the game we both love. You give me that, and I will sleep with a smile on my face no matter how the score comes out," Washington told his son.

"Thanks, Coach.. uh.. Dad," Alex said happily. He watched as his father got up and left, leaving him to finish suiting up before the game.