Chapter 9

NEXT DAY - SCHOOL LIBRARY

"What spell has this elevated-IQ temptress guy cast that suddenly makes you wanna be in a musical?" Lafayette asked me.

"Look, I just did it. Who cares?" I told him annoyed.

"Who cares? How about your most loyal best friend?" Laff yelled.

"Quiet in here, Mr. Lafayette," Mrs. Seabury, the school librarian told him.

"It's him Mrs Seabury, not me," Laff said feigning innocence. She rolled her eyes, but eventually moved on.

"Look," he said spinning his basketball on his finger, "you're a hoops dude, not a musical singer person." He handed the ball back to me, but I sighed and tossed it right back to him.

"Have you ever seen Michael Crawford on a cereal box?" He asked me.

"Who's Michael Crawford?" I wondered.

"Exactly my point. He was the Phantom of the Opera on Broadway. Now my mom has seen that musical 27 times, and put Michael Crawford's picture in our refrigerator. Yeah, not on it, in it. So my point is, if you play basketball, you're gonna end up on a cereal box. If you sing in musicals, you'll end up in my mom's refrigerator," He told me.

"Why would she put his picture in her refrigerator?" I laughed.

"One of her crazy diet ideas. Look, I don't attempt to understand the female mind, Troy," he joked. Mrs Seabury appeared next to us, but Lafayette chose to ignore her.

"It's frightening territory. How can you expect the rest of us to be focused on a game if you're off somewhere in leotards singing "TwinkleTown"?" He stated.

"No one said anything about leotards,"I flushed.

"Not yet, my friend, but just you wait. Look, we need you Captain. Big time," He said, shaking my shoulder.

"Mr. Lafayette," The librarian said exasperated.

"I tried to tell him, Mrs Seabury. Really tried," he told her, trying his best to hold in a laugh.

TIME SKIP- CLASSROOM (3rd person)

Lafayette, Hercules and Burr marched into the science classroom and walked up to Peggy, as Thomas and James observed through the window in the door.

"Something isn't right," Thomas thought out loud. They both moved closer to get a better view, but they still could not hear much.

"Hey, look. We need to talk," Laff told Peggy.

"Go," She said sharply.

"They must be trying to figure out a way to make sure Alex and John actually beat us out. Now, the jocks rule most of the school, but if they get Alex into the musical, then they've conquered the entire student body,"James said to Thomas.

And if those science girls get John hooked up with Alexander Hamilton, the scholastic club goes from drool to cool. James, we need to save our show from people who don't know the difference between a Tony Award and Tony Hawk," Thomas replied loathingly , as him and James walked away.

"Do you really think that's gonna work?" Peggy asked Laff.

"It's the only way to save Alex and John from themselves. So we on?" He said.

"Yeah," Peggy replied coolly.

"Good. So we start tomorrow then," Laff said.

"OK, the first thing," Peggy confirmed.

"Nice," He turned to Burr and Hercules, "Let's go."

NEXT DAY - OUTSIDE

Laff came out from behind a statue as Peggy arrived to make her delivery: a laptop with a webcam.

"So, my watch is 7:45 Mountain Standard time. We synced?" He asked her.

"Whatever," Peggy replied rolling her eyes.

"All right, then we're on a go mode for lunch period, exactly 12:05," He said.

"Yes, Laff, we're a go. But we're not Charlie's Angels, OK?" She joked, handing him the equipment.

"I can dream, can't I?" He laughed.