Chapter 13

THAT EVENING

Alex walked along the sidewalk in front of John's house. He walked up to the front door and knocked.

"Hi, Mr Laurens, I'm Alex Hamilton," he introduced himself to John's father.

"Oh, Alex!" Mr. Laurens said. Upon hearing Alex's name, John came down the stairs until he was within earshot of his father and mouthed the word 'No.'

"Um... Jack is kinda busy with homework and such, so now's not really a good time," Mr. Laurens told the boy.

"I made a mistake, Mr. Laurens, and I would really like to let John know that. Could you tell him that I came by to see him?" Alex asked.

"I will... Alex. Good night," Henry said smiling.

"Good night. Thank you," Alex replied. He was about to go home when he got an idea. He silently went around to the back of John's house and dialed his number on his cell phone. John was sitting on his bed when his phone started ringing. He picked up.

"Hello?" John asked.

"What you heard, none of that is true. I was sick of my friends riding me about singing with you, so I said things I knew would shut them up. I didn't mean any of it," Alex told him. 

"You sounded pretty convincing to me," John said, while turning on his nightstand lamp. 

"Listen, the guy you met on vacation is way more me than the guy who said those stupid things," Alex pleaded with the freckled boy.

"Lexi, the whole singing thing is making the school whack. You said so yourself. Everyone's treating you differently because of it," John responded.

"Maybe because I don't wanna only be the basketball guy. They can't handle it. That's not my problem, it's theirs," Alex told him.

"What about your dad?" John questioned him.

"And it's not about my dad. This is about how I feel, and I'm not letting the team down. They let me down. So I'm gonna sing. What about you?" Alex asked.

"I don't know, Lex," John said, fidgeting with his free hand.

"Well, you need to say yes. Because I brought you something," Alex told him.

"What do you mean?" John asked.

"Turn around," Alex said to him. John turned around and sure enough, Alex was standing on his balcony. They both hung up their phones as John went to the door and opened it.

"This could be the start of something new
It feels so right to be here with you
And now looking in your eyes
I feel in my heart
The start of something... new," Alex sang to John.

"It's a pairs audition," he told the shorter boy, holding up John's missing copy of 'Breaking Free.'

John walked over to Alex with a smile, taking the music sheets and gently tossing them on his bed. Alex moved closer to John, placing his hand on the other boy's freckled cheek, and softly touching their lips together.

This could be the start of something new