Chapter 18

CHAMPIONSHIP GAME

"Wildcats!" The team screamed, finishing off their huddle. The Wildcats made their way onto the court and shook hands with the other team. And so the game begins!

"East High wins the opening tip, pushing the ball up the court," The announcer told the crowd.

MEANWHILE -DECATHLON

John's marker board was filled with the equation as he finished first. The judge walked over to check his work, and gave the point to John. The audience went crazy, including Henry Laurens.

"East High," The announcer told the crowd.

"We did it!" Peggy screamed to John laughing.

"Great job!" John said, shaking hands with his opponent. Peggy and John both check the clock, as Peggy opens her laptop.

"All right, Wildcats, time for an orderly exit from the gym," Peggy smirked, transmitting a message that knocked out the power in the school gym.

GYM

"And West High pushes the ball around the perimeter on the offensive end. Nice ball movement by West High. Driving the lane... shot is up and..." The announcer stopped when the score board and lights started shorting out, and the game buzzer went off.

"We seem to be experiencing some technical difficulties, uh," The announcer said unaware of what to do. The referee blew his whistle, signaling a timeout.

"We've got a timeout on the court here," The announcer told the crowd.

"We have a problem. Stop the game. Stop the game," The referee shouted. Lafayette ran up to Alex, motioning for him to get going. Washington watched Alex leave the gym, confused.

"Everyone please remain calm,"The announcer said.

DECATHLON

Peggy opened her laptop again. Shorting the power in the gym was the easy part, the diversion that Peggy  had in mind for the decathlon was much more unpleasant. Peggy sent a signal to a beaker a few feet away filled with blue liquid. Within seconds the liquid started bubbling, and releasing a foul odor.

"Go, go, go, go," John shouted to Peggy, as the spectators started to leave their seats.

CHAMPIONSHIP GAME

"We'll get this figured out real soon. In the meantime, per safety regulations, we need to all make an orderly exit from the gym, please," The announcer told the crowd. The Wildcats left, and headed to the auditorium.

AUDITORIUM

James and Thomas finished their song, and took their bows as the audience applauded.

"Oh, hi! Call me," Thomas said to an audience member. James took off his fedora and threw it out to the audience. 

"Do you see why we love the theater, people? Well done. Ah, Alexander Hamilton, John Laurens," he was met with only silence, "Alex? John?"

"They'll be here," Eliza shouted frantically.

"The theater, as I have often pointed out, waits for no one. I'm sorry," Mr. George stated.  Eliza made a face, and ran off the stage.

"Well, we are done here. Congratulations to all. The cast list will be posted," George told the teenagers, just as Alex and John arrived.

"Wait! Mr George, wait! We're ready, we can sing," Alex pleaded.

"I called your names, twice," The strict teacher said.

"Mr. George, please! Please!" John begged him.

"Rules are rules!" He replied, waving them off. As the small audience got up to leave, the rest of the school started pouring into the auditorium.

"We'll be happy to do it again for our fellow students, Mr George," Thomas said, giddy at the thought of performing in front of so many people.

"I don't know what's going on here, but in any event, it's far too late and we have not got a pianist," He replied, searching for an excuse.

"Well, that's show biz," James told him.

"We'll sing without a piano," Alex said.

"Oh, no, you won't. Pianist here, Mr. George," Eliza shouted, running up behind Alex.

"You really don't wanna do that," Thomas told her threateningly.

"Oh, yes, I really do. Ready on stage," Eliza responded unafraid. A look of shock filled Thomas' face as Eliza stood up to him.

"Now that's show biz," Mr. George said, laughing at Thomas' face.