Chapter 14

NEXT DAY- SCHOOL GYM

Alex was on fire! He moved around the court and passed the ball a few times until it got back to him, and he made a perfect basket.

"Whoo!" Washington cheered on his son.

"Yeah!" Alex jumped up excitedly.

SCIENCE ROOM

"Zn4, and by doing that, you end up with two... and two. Got it?" John asked one of his fellow teammates.

"Yes!" The girl said to him. Peggy high fived the girl and couldn't be any happier.

"Guys, come here. Go ahead and put five grams of this in," John said, pointing to a substance on the table, "and that causes it to change from an acidic  state. Causing the color to change from pink to blue. Just like those pH  test strips," he then proceeded to check the clock, "Oh, gotta go. See you guys later!" He took off his goggles and apron and hung them up as he left the room.

Alex came down the hallway, as John came up and took his hand.

"Whoa!" Alex said as they took off down the empty hallway, "You're late!"

MUSIC ROOM

Eliza played the piano as Alex and John stood together rehearsing 'Breaking Free.'

"...strength to believe," they both sang together.

"We're soarin'," John sang.

"Flyin'," Alex sang alone.

"There's not a star in heaven that we can't reach," They both sang together, staring into eachother's eyes.

"Bop bop bop...." Thomas sang to himself, strutting past the music room.

"If we're tryin'. Yeah, we're breakin' free," John and Alex could be heard singing from inside the classroom. Thomas gasped at the sound of them singing.

"Wow. They sound good," James said, as Thomas scoffed, going to the window in the classroom door and watching them.

"We have to do something. OK, our callbacks on  Thursday and the basketball game and the scholastic decathlon are on  Friday. Too bad all these events weren't happening on the  same day... at the same time," Thomas smirked, turning around to face James.

"Well, that wouldn't work out because then Alex and John wouldn't be able to make the..." he trailed off when Thomas shot him a "keep going" kind of look.

"I'm proud to call you my best friend," James told the taller man when he realized what he meant.

"I know," Thomas said patting him on the back.

short lil chap for y'all