5. Unforeseen Attack

It was already almost noon when the carriage departed from the Bonneville manor. Inside the carriage were Amanda, Princess and Johnson while Tanya sat outside with the coachman.

Amanda wore a simple red bowknot stand collar dress while Princess, she wore a baby blue chiffon-layered dress. The mother and daughter pair were like celestial deities as they are bathed by the sunlight. As for Johnson, his gold embroidered black coat accentuated the noble atmosphere around him.

Johnson was getting nagged at by Amanda for not taking his training seriously while Princess remained silent praying that Johnson's soul will survive through the ordeal.

From nags, to jokes, to idle talks; the journey was going through a smooth sailing.

However, when they were passing through a forest, Tanya several the presence of several people trying to surround them from all sides.

Tanya opened the small window connecting the coachman's seat to the inner part of the carriage.

"Mistress, there are currently ten people following us and they didn't even bother to hide their presence," Tanya reported in a low voice.

Amanda nodded and gestured Tanya to stop the carriage.

Princess' body tensed up when she heard the situation. She was scared. As of the moment, she was far too weak neither to fight nor to be an aid in a fight. She was still a seedling in magic. Above all, what shook her the most was this attack.

The carriage wasn't attacked in my previous life!

Johnson was safely escorted home with several bodyguards and there weren't any problems at all.

Panic and fear crept up in her heart. She didn't even notice that she was trembling until she felt a warm hand caressing her cheek.

"Don't worry my beloved Princess, Mommy will never let you get hurt," Amanda's voice was like a ray of sunshine in a rainy day. Her smile was bright as the sun.

She then turned to Johnson and said, "Protect Princess while I go out."

Johnson didn't waste any time and nodded in reply. After he took his bow and arrow from his space pouch, he took a seat beside Princess. His face unusually portrayed calm and caution.

When the carriage halted, Amanda alighted from the carriage and took her space pouch from her pocket. Princess' and Johnson's eyes widened in adoration as they watch Amanda's saber slowly being taken out.

Her saber's pommel had a large ruby with the letter 'A' in the middle, the hilt shone like gold and the fuller had ancient runes.

"I am Amanda Bonneville, wife of the Viscount Dyle Bonneville. To what pleasure do I owe you gentlemen for giving us audience?" Amanda spoke in a firm voice with a trace of mirth and intimidation.

Ten men clothed in all-black appeared surrounding the carriage. They did not reply to Amanda and remained silent but their intentions were screaming with their weapons pointed at Amanda.

This time, Tanya and the coachman also took out their weapons and stood in guard for the carriage.

"Attack!" one of the men in black shouted.

A fierce battle erupted and Princess could hear the metallic sounds of clashing weapons. She wanted to take a peak from the window of the carriage but Johnson was adamant on letting her see a bloody scene.

In a span of few minutes, the battle slowly became a one-sided slaughter. Princess could hear the last screams of those who died.

Princess managed to wriggle herself free from Johnson's clutches and saw the last moments of the battle.

[Heavenly Step] Amanda muttered and turn into a blinding streak of gold light preying upon the lives of two unfortunate targets. In the blink of an eye, one of the targets lost his head while the other torn into half.

One thing is for sure, none of the screams that Princess heard came from her companions.

"Mommy is amazing," Princess said as she watched her mother's breathtaking appearance.

After the fight, the coachman tied up the last surviving assassin for interrogation.

"Can I go out now?" Princess asked Johnson.

"The fight is done so yes, you can. Besides, the real monsters are on our side." Johnson replied.

Johnson opened the door of the carriage and assisted Princess as she got off.

Happiness, relief and worry, these emotions swirled in the heart of Princess. She was very eager to run to her mother and give her a tight hug but sometimes things don't go well as planned.

"Go back to the carriage!" Amanda shouted and at the same time launched herself towards Princess.

Johnson was thrown off to the side while Princess was now in Amanda's embrace. Princess involuntarily closed her eyes in the sudden turn of events until she could feel something on her face.

*Drip*

Princess slowly opened her eyes and saw that she was positioned underneath her mother's chest. For some reason, she could see that the red color of her mother's dress was getting more deep in hue.

*Drip*

She felt something fell on her cheek again and tried to wipe it with her hand.

To her horror, it was blood.

With fright and a sense of panic, she looked up to her mother's face and saw Amanda's face contort in pain.

After a few seconds, Amanda fell unto her side and Princess shuddered at the sight of four black arrows that had riddled her mother's back.

Mother is...

Princess could hear a deafening buzz in her head, making her mind go blank and her body numb.

Then darkness ate her sight. 

__________________________________________________________________________