21. Engaged

"May I presume that in exchange for your offer, I would become your fiancee?" Princess asked as she gazed upon those crafty silver eyes of his.

Vanford nodded as helplessness slowly gnawed Princess' heart.

"My Lady," Tanya's voice interjected. "Please do forgive my boldness but I would like my lady to remember that mistress would never want my lady to be unhappy because of her." Tanya spoke with her head held low but her voice was firm.

Regardless of the interference created by Tanya, Vanford never showed any displeasure and kept his cunning smile on his face.

In the side lines, Abraham was itching to grab Princess and take her away from the presence of this fox prince. Despite the fact that he never saw the mistress of the Bonneville manor, he was aware that the mistress showered her daughter with love and in return, Princess valued her mother very much. Abraham's calm eyes were the exact opposite of the swirling emotions inside him.

"Before I agree your highness, how may I know that you can truly teach me of a method to heal my mother?" Princess eyes were now sharp.

Vanford was unperturbed by the apprehensive eyes coming from the three people. He knew that he had to prove the fact that his bait was real so he can have his catch.

"I believe that Lady Princess has a high aptitude, no?"

"Yes you are correct your highness, however my power isn't enough to heal my mother."

The moment Princess gave her reply, Vanford took a pebble-size jade engraved by an unknown symbol and handed it to Princess.

The cold surface of the jade mysteriously gave her warmth. She looked at the jade and then to Vanford. "What's this?"

"It's a magical stone that can replenish the mana, restore the physical body and heal the soul."

Princess' eyebrow rose and disbelief showed on her face. Due to her position as a priestess of the High Church, she was informed of the magical items that the High Church had in their hands and even those magical items that the royal family had. Yes, there were quite a lot of magical items that may replenish mana and heal wounds but she had never seen or heard of a magical item that can heal the soul.

Above all, why would the second prince have something like this?

Princess was obviously sceptical on the authenticity of the jade but as her purple eyes stared on the engraved symbol. A sense of familiarity hits her making her think that what Vanford was telling is true.

"How about we try it now, Lady Princess?"

A mixture of excitement and hesitation swept through the mind of Princess but when her eyes landed on her unconscious mother, the hesitation vanished in an instant.

Under Vanford's instruction, Princess put the jade on the chest of her mother. By letting the head of her staff touch the symbol on the jade, Princess gradually felt a force slowly sucking her light element essence. Her body glowed alongside with her mother's causing the whole room to brighten. After a couple of minutes, the glow started to dim and the sucking force dissipated leaving Princess feeling drained. Tanya had to support her so she could keep on standing.

"Any minute now," Vanford said as he eyes focused on Amanda.

Everybody's eyes were on Amanda, watching her and anticipating her eyes to open. When Amanda's eyes started to flutter open, everyone seemed to forget how to breathe. Princess broke into tears and rushed to her mother's side.

"Mommy! You're finally awake!" Princess exclaimed.

"I shall inform the Master immediately." Abraham rushed out of the room while Tanya was shedding tears of joy.

On that day, the whole Bonneville manor rejoiced on the awakening of their mistress. As for the exchange between Princess and Vanford, it was kept secret between the three people. What the Bonneville people knew was that their young lady willingly accepted the proposal of the second prince.

Since the proposal was done under the decision of the second prince himself with no permission from the king, Vanford still had to talk to his father to make their engagement official. On the third day of Vanford's stay in the Bonneville manor, Dyle had now deemed it safe for Vanford to journey back to the capital. So with the escort of the royal knights and two elite knights of the Bonneville family, Vanford safely went home in two days time.

After one week of recuperating, Amanda's health was back on track that she could finally go back to her job of training the knights. Abraham was transferred to the strict supervision of Amanda since he was the one in charge of closely protecting Princess.

"Doing your best is great but don't push yourself too much to the point that your body would be battered already," Princess grumbled. She couldn't help but frown as she healed Abraham's bruises and wounds from his training.

Mother is too ruthless.

A light hearted laugh escaped through the mouth of Abraham. "I am happy that my lady cares for me very much, however these bruises and wounds are nothing if it means I can protect you from any harm."

Princess could only sigh in defeat as she knows that with Abraham's loyal personality, we would gladly jump off a cliff if it means to protect her.

A mad dog and a selfless dog, am I a dog magnet?

If so, why can't I attract the cute dogs instead?

"My lady, please do pardon my audacity to ask but are you truly willing to marry the second prince?" Abraham's voice was solemn and his amber eyes were trying to peer unto her soul.

Princess felt a prick on her heart. If it was her naïve self, she would've easily said no and make an endless complain.

"Abraham, I am a noble." Princess stood up and gazed from a window. "Being a noble means I can enjoy the lavish life and be respected but all of these come with a price. A young noble lady's price is the her freedom to choose who she can tie the knot."

She faced Abraham and let her visage be reflected upon those clear amber eyes of his. "Marriage between nobles is like a business transaction, for the second prince and I, we had done the necessary transaction for our engagement. Therefore, I need to accept the fact that from now on I, Princess Bonneville, is the fiancée of the second prince of the Crestford Kingdom."

Abraham's face momentarily darkened while Princess looked indifferent.

A viscount's daughter and a prince...

Looks like I barely escaped from my previous life's fate.