Chapter Seven: Hank and Dawn

After a few more hours driving we had arrived in Washington, District of Columbia. Dick drove around a corner and pulled behind a car. I look out of the window to see a apartment building, only a few floors. We all piled out of the car, gathering our things from the bonnet. I swung my bag over my shoulder, as Dick slammed the bonnet shut. Then lead us into the building, up a couple of flights of stairs - which was hell -, before we walked down a hallway, Dick knowing the place well.

"So, who are these guys?" Rachel had asked, a few inches behind Dick, as I matched her pace.

Dick turned to look at Rachel "Old friends," he replied before we ended up at the bottom end of the hallway, which held a door. "Truth is, I haven't seem them for a long time," we stopped outside his friends door, as he looked at us both.

"So, they have no idea your dropping by," I said, my eyebrow raised. "And this could end in disaster," I dropped my eyebrow and rolled my eyes at him. But he didn't comment, he just knocks on the door. 

After a few seconds, the door swung open, making  a creaking sound. Stood behind the door was a young beautiful women, her hair was in a plate but it hanged around the front. The colour grey but it suited her well.

Her eyes gazed from Rachel, to me and then to Dick, her expression had drastically changed when her eyes landed on Dick

"Hey," Dick states, acting casual and cool.

The woman took a moment, as she was stunned to see him. Lovers tiff. I thought to myself because the way she looks at him, it was clear as day.

"Hi," she finally responded, her eyes locked onto Dick. 

"Hi," Rachel began, as the woman gazed was peeled away from Dick, and onto Rachel. "I'm Rachel," she held out her hand for the woman to take.

The woman moved her hand to Rachel, as they were going to shake hands. "Dawn," their hands finally connected, they shook, well it was more like hand-holding, but I had a feeling Rachel was doing more than shaking Dawn's hand.

"Hi, I'm Vanessa," I stuck my hand out from the middle of Dick and Rachel, she shook it gladly, with a smile on her face. The shaking of hands ended a moment later as I reclined my hand.

"Can we talk?" Dick asked her. She began to shake her head, gesturing yes to him.

"You're about fours years too late, but sure," Dawn replied and she was a sassy one. Ooo, I like her already. She had step aside from the door slightly, gesturing we can come in. Rachel walked in first and I was on her tail, but I could feel Dawn's eyes go straight to Dick as he walked through the threshold.

"Wow. This place is huge," Rachel states as she looked around the apartment and she was right it was huge, but I was more concerned if this place was safe enough for her...

........................................

After we had dropped our bags off in Dawn's apartment, she had led us to the roof of the apartment building. Showing Rachel the dove cage on the roof. Dawn and Dick needed to talk about things, so Rachel and I went over to the dove cage. Rachel had sat on a box in front of the cage as she looks to the dove's in awe. I stood beside her watching the dove's, but my gaze went to Dick and Dawn talking to one another and looking in our direction, but mostly in Rachel's.

"So," I began, as Rachel took her gaze to me. "What did you do?" I asked, raising my eyebrow, my gaze went to Dawn for a second as her and Dick was sitting on a bench.

"I saw her and Dick together. Together," she replied, giving me the look, and I just nodded to her knowing what she meant.

"Is there any women he knows and haven't slept with?" I chuckled slightly as the words left my mouth, Rachel also let out a little giggle, making me smile. The birds in the cage flapped around, as we watched them in awe, they were really nice birds. Just then, I heard the door open to the roof, to see a man come walking onto the roof and went straight for Dick and Dawn, not noticing Rachel and I.

After a few moments of them talking, but it seemed more than that, it was like tension filling the air between Dick and the guy. I see Dawn nod her head towards us before he turns to look at us both. I see Rachel turn her head after a moment back to the dove cage. My gaze turned after a few more moments looking at the guy.

Dawn had taken him back inside to talk about our problem, leaving the three of us alone. "I'll be back," I said to Rachel, but I didn't look to her. I walked over to Dick who looked to the door that lead back into the building.

"Please tell me that we aren't in for a boxing match?" I asked, my tone dry, as he shoots his gaze to me, confusion on his face. "You and that guy, I can tell when there's tension. Heck, I'm a school teacher it's my job to know when fights are about to break out," my voice laced with sarcasm with the hint of the truth.

"No. Don't worry about it," he replied before moving away from me. But I had a gut feeling that this wasn't going to end well.

............................................

Night had fallen upon us, Dawn had given Rachel the spare room and I was bunking with her, so to speak. I had the floor at the end of her bed, and Dick had the couch. Rachel and Dick was making up the bed, as I flapped out a blanket it place at the foot of the bed.

"So, you and Dawn," Rachel asked, implying that they were together at some point in their lives.

"No," he replied quickly, dismissing the question.

"You realize it's impossible to lie to me, right?" Rachel replied, and it was true, she could tell when a person was lying. It was part of her gifts. I propped myself back up, as I finished placing a few pillows down onto the floor.

"When we were kids," Dick states as the bed was made, he careful walked around the bed, and over my blanket and pillows. "Good night you two,"

Rachel sat on the bed, as I sat with her, looking at Dick, my own cogs turning. "Why did you hurt her?" I had asked, but it just came out, unfiltered and direct.

He stopped in the doorway that leads to the living room of the apartment. Turning back to face us, sighing slightly. "I didn't mean too," was his only replay, and it was a shit one at that.

"That't not an excuse," Rachel said, taking the words right from my mouth. Dick's eyes glanced between Rachel and I.

"Yeah, well, it's all in the past," he replied, before he began to walk out of the spare room.

"Not for her," I called to him, as he stopped once again to turn to look at us. But his eyes glanced over to me. His eyes began t search mine, to find out if I was telling the truth. 

"Get some rest," was his only response before wondering off to his bed for the night.

"He has some serious opening up to do," I state to Rachel as I shook my head. The glance she shot to me was knowing that it was true, that he should open up more.

"Dawn and Hank seem nice," Rachel states, as she looks to the door then back to me.

"Yeah they do," I replied to her statement, but I had a gut feeling that Hank and Dick didn't like each other that much. "Get some sleep," I stood from the bed and went to the floor at the foot of the bed, before laying down on the blanket, the pulled the free blanket over me, my head resting on the pillow.

I closed my eyes, my mind drifting to the world of sleep. I was hoping that we were safe here for awhile...