Chapter Nine: The Fight

After what happened with Hank and Dick, I went to the roof to clear my head. Rachel needed time to process. I sat on the bench that was on the roof, taking in the crisp air of the world. Finding peace as the dove's flapped around, only hearing the traffic now and then.

Just then I heard the door to the roof open, and I knew who it was straight away, it be Dick, trying to smooth things over, that what he does. "Go away Dick" I replied, not looking behind, as he crept forward.

"Luckily, I'm not Dick," Dawn's voice rang out, making me turn my head to face her, as she approached the bench.

"Oh," I sighed, as she took a seat next to me. "I just need some time," I spoke, turning back to face the sky. I could feel her shift on the bench, crossing her leg over the other, her body turned to face me.

"You're right," she spoke softly. "Dick has unresolved problems here. We've known him for years and he ditched us so to speak," Dawn said, her voice gentle as it was a touchy subject. I had twisted my body to face her. "And he and I did have a fling of sorts," 

"I already knew that," I replied, my expression plain, like the news didn't change anything. Dawn gave me a weird look, like saying 'how did you know'. "The way you look at one another, sometimes. I'm not blind," I chuckled slightly, as she let out her own chuckle.

"That's in the past. I have Hank," she replied, more in a defensive manner, but it was true, she did have Hank and she looks to him with love in her eyes as does he.

"You and Hank are perfect, I can see the love," I state with a smile. "Wish I have something like that," my tone joking, but held the truth as well.

"You will... One day," Dawn encouraged, giving me a nod with a warm smile.

"Thanks Dawn," I turned my head to look back out to the cloudy sky. "Has he always had a closed heart?" My gaze didn't return to her, I just looked to the sky.

"Dicks?" Dawn replied, knowing who I meant straight away. "He has a complicated past. He finds it hard to let people in. He has secrets as do everyone else," I took my gaze to meet her eyes, knowing what she meant.

"I know what you mean, but every secret has to come out at some point," Dawn gave me a knowing look. Before she sighed and stood from the bench.

"Hank's sorry by the way, he's an ass-hole at times, but he means well," Dawn had said, looking down at me, as I gave her the nod of my head, before she walked away, gravel from the roof flicking up as she walked.

I watched her until she went out of view. I took a deep breath, before looking down at my hands, holding them up, palm to the front. Just then, two balls of purple energy, sat in the middle of both my hands. Hallow purple fields of energy, floating gently in my palms. After a few moments of watching the balls, I slowly began to curl my fingers inwards to touch my palms. As I did, the balls got smaller and smaller, until my fingers touched them.

"A secret that I'm holding in..." I spoke in a mere whisper. But was I willing to risk it...

.........................................

Hours had passed, night was falling upon me. I had stayed on the roof for the whole time, just thinking about the pass three days and what my life became. I don't regret helping Rachel, I don't regret staying with her until she is safe. I regret not telling her what I could really do, she has powers too, and frankly, she's the only other person that I know who has powers. She's just a kid, she's find it hard to control them, she'll need a teacher to guide her, to steer her on the right path.

I stood from the bench, wrapping my hands around my arms, as it was a bit chilly, before walking to the roof door that leads back down to the apartments. Once, I got down, I went to Dawn and Hank's apartment, and opened the door, slipping in before closing it. I see Hank in the living room grabbing his jacket to put it on. I made my way to the spare room to see Dick standing by the door as he looks at Dawn who has her hand on Rachel's knee, bent over to reach Rachel's eye line.