Chapter 5: The Hearing

Three days later:

I tapped my buzzing alarm and silence filled the room. I got up rubbing my eyes. The trip had been tiring but very productive. I smiled walking to the washroom. On the way I turned on the music system. Swaying to music I brushed my teeth thinking, about him, of course. Gradually as retrospect set in, my worry began. I had turned out to be very informal with him after that conversation about marriage we had. Oh no! Maybe I went too far. 

* * *

I entered slowly, seeing him engrossed in arranging pages. His huge glasses on his nose. His hair tied into a pony. The sleeves of his shirt rolled up. The creases on his forehead said he was struggling at something. I quickly looked at the side table, it was piled with books. I made my way to them placing them back into the right positions at the huge bookshelf. The ones that were to go up where I couldn't reach, I left aside. 

"Good morning," I heard him say when I reached my desk. 

"Good morning Sir." I said smiling. Not widely but formally. 

He looked up "sir?"

"Ahh, ..." I struggled at words. "Have you eaten breakfast? Do you want me to get it?" I said covering up for my lack of words. His eyes didn't move from me. 

"Umm, I think I can eat before we head to the court. "

"Since his long have you been here?" I asked picking up the empty jug and moving to refill it at the water dispenser. 

"Five. I just hope the case is wrapped up today. It's a clear case but these corporates keep pushing it. Sick tactics. A common man can't keep fighting his entire life for justice. You know in last one month..."

I smiled as the water reached the neck of the bottle. Omkara could start anywhere about this topic. At least he was trying to change things. He looked into ten major cases and ten open shut type in a day. His day ended at ten and started at five sometimes four at office. There were so many times I heard him argue with his mother about work. Well, indeed he didn't have to work so hard. He could take one millionaire's case a month and he'd earn amazingly. But this man had a passion. How could he single-handedly change India's Judicial System? He obviously couldn't. But he at least didn't give up. He tried making whatever change he could. 

I placed the copper bottle on his desk pouring out a glass of water and handed it out to him. "I will be back. Any preferences for breakfast today?"

"How about Dosa today?" He grinned. 

"Yes Boss." I grinned walking out. 

* * *

While Omkara sat my the table assigned for me to work on hungrily eating his breakfast. I sat at his table and arranged the remaining papers using the soft copy as the reference. I took out my dairy, making necessary points that would help to skim through the document. 

Lawyer @ Love  | ✓जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें