Chapter 5: Meet Pennywise

I leaned over the gutter, waiting for the voices to come back. Instead, the same yellow eyes is saw at the Neibolt house popped up. I was surprised by it. As I stared at the eyes in the gutter, the eyes studied me. They seemed to stare into my soul. After a while of doing a staring contest, the eyes turned from a mysterious yellow to a dancing blue. I loved the color of them. Just as things got weird, a body appeared in front of my eyes.

"Who the hell are you?" I wasn't scared by this thing. It looked like some guy wearing a hell of a costume that had ruffles and a rusting whit color in it with a touch of the Renaissance era in it. The guy also had an almost white looking painted face with two red lines starting at least 2 inches above his eyebrows and ending at the dimples of his face. His lips were painted red.

"Well I didn't ask for that type of language, but what the hell? Name's Pennywise. Also, I can explain the noises. You just have to come down here for a few minutes. Sounds creepy, but you got a trust me." This isn't weird at all. Just some weird clown asking permission to take my body and pull it through a gutter. I could fit through it though. "I guess I could fit down there." He quickly grabbed me and dragged me through the gutter. After, he lead me to a random sofa to tell me everything (I'll just skip through everything so people who've seen It can see more action).

"So let me get this straight, you eat children, but since I'm not afraid of you, you don't want wanna eat me. But you want a friend? I guess I could be a friend to you." He looked pretty cool with it. I couldn't believe he had two sides to himself. I liked that. As I tried to comprehend everything he just said, he started to speak. "The other side of me isn't so nice, so I end up doing things I don't intend to do, such as eat kids and kill them. I just hope... we could be friends."

"I only want to be friends since I basically have to. This god that controls me from becoming too powerful told me that someone would end up like me and I need to help them. Sooo, what do you say?" I couldn't believe what the hell just happened. I would end up like him? This doesn't make sense,  but whatever. "Well, I don't have any other options so, I guess. We sat in silence for a few seconds. "So, I guess I'll bring you back home. Pennywise helped me get out and return home. "I'll see you tomorrow, Penny." I walked back to my house and crawled into my room. I passed out on my bed.

The next day, I went to the library to gain more info on Penny. He didn't sound so right. When I got to the library, I saw the new kid Ben leaving. Before he left, I went to go talk to him. He seemed friendly and he was new to Derry. He should make some friends, so mine as well be me. "Hey kid, how's Derry so far? Name's Elizabeth. Call me Liz for short." It looked like I frightened the poor boy to death. He was breathing heavily like he just ran a marathon.

"Oh sorry Elizabeth. My name's Ben. I was just reading a scary book, so you kinda frightened me. I've heard of you before. You're the daughter of the fashion designer Mark Branchard." I nodded."So I guess I'll catch up with you later. See ya." Ben walked out of the library at a quick pace. I walked over to a book he left on the table he sat at. The book looked very dusty and old. I was so curious to read it. The title of the book was "Derry and its History." This was a perfect book to read. I opened it up to a random page. The page displayed a newspaper article that talked about a tragedy that occurred at least 50 years ago on Easter here in Derry. On the right side, you could see a child in a tree, dead. I closed the book immediately and checked out a book to take home.

After 12 at night, I snook out and went over to the gutter that Penny talked to me with. I jumped through it and walked through the sewers. It smelled so bad(no shit it's a sewer). I walked over to a pile of childrens' toys and waited. Finally, He appeared. "I'm here now, can we start talking now?" "Anxious now, are we? Well have a seat." I sat on the same sofa that I sat on yesterday. Penny sat next to me. "As I said yesterday, I have two sides of me. One side is evil and likes eating children and the other one doesn't like that stuff, which is me. Your job is to keep me in check from my dark side."

I accepted it. He needed someone to watch his dark side. It might as well be me. "In order for this to work, you need to open up to me, Elizabeth." I nodded and took a deep breath. So many depressing stories. When I was little, my dad and my mom weren't the best with each other. My mom was the nicest person I ever new. My dad was a mean person and abusive. When mom wasn't home, he would hit me with a belt and kick me in the stomach. When mom was around, he did it to her. Every time I asked her if she was alright, she replied with, "I will always be fine, my little Lizzy. I'll love you forever."

"Two years later, when I was seven, she passed away. One night, my dad hit her so hard, he cracked her head open. I witnessed it all. He told me to tell the cops that she was trying to hurt him and he was defending himself. I did what he said and now he takes all of his anger on me." I shedded a year. Penny caught it on his silk glove. "It's not your fault, Elizabeth. He did it to her." I nodded and pulled myself together. "So, do I need to explain more about myself?" "It's fine. I could just read your mind." I laughed softly.

"So, same time tomorrow, Penny?" He nodded. I hugged him and walked off. He was so nice.