Chapter 28: Tragic And Sweet

Warning: There is a lot of talk of cancer in this chapter. If you are triggered, please do not read! Stay safe, friends.
__________________
Zayna's P.O.V
The seasons have changed, then back again. My hair and nails have grown and been cut. I watched everyone around me grow up. Pick up what they had left, and move on. I have seen people leave, for good. I have seen more people die, and a few be born.
I have been sad more than happy. I have cried more than I laughed. I've watched one of my best friends take the stage, and be the lead in our schools musical. And I've stared at the graves of my others.
It's been a year and six months, three days, 17 hours, thirteen minutes, and twenty six seconds since I stepped out of the one direction house. Not that anyone's counting.
After months of therapy, sad looks from people on the street, and sickness, I stared at the frail girl lying next to me, in a hospital.
She was skinny. Unnaturally so. But, that's what leukemia does. Her bald head laid peacefully on the putrid white pillow.
The smell of medicine and death attacked my nose. I felt like I was going to throw up. Harriet was diagnosed with stage four leukemia three months ago. They were surprised how long she'd made it.
I hugged my legs to my chest, humming the only song that could always calm me down. Sistas- The Cheetah Girls.
Harriet turned over, glancing up at me over her oxygen mask. "Hey girl. Shouldn't you be in school?"
I glanced at the clock. 13:45. Yes. I should be.
"School really isn't that important..." Lian would roll over in her grave if she heard what I was saying.
"Especially if your best friend is dying." She laughed. She sat up, wincing as she did. Automatically, she's hand his the button next to her, administering pain killers.
I haven't been to school in a little while. I spent most my time in the hospital, knowing each moment I had with Harriet was precious.
"So, tell me about Bobby! How did the date go?" Harriet gushed.
There was no real Bobby. No date. Nothing but school and hospital. A pattern I'd only recently broken.
"It was alright. Though, I don't think it'll work out. He's kind of boring..." I lied.
It was for Harriet's sake. She was living through me. Having me tell her about all the things that I've done. All the things she couldn't do. All the things she'll never do. Like dating safely and turning sixteen.
"Really? He sounds pretty awesome. I think you two should keep seeing each other. I think you would be perfect for one another!"
A knock stopped me from replying. I turned my head around, staring Harry and Liam down.
Harry was almost always here. And Liam is only here until the end of January. Then, back to school in Ohio.
"Can we come in?" Liam asked, stumbling into the room.
I nodded. Harry followed after, taking a seat next to me. Liam sat on the other side of the bed.
"How's school? I miss having you here." Harriet asked Liam.
"It's good. Just boring college work. And I wish I could be here, all the time." Liam smiled sadly.
He didn't need to stay here for much longer. Everyone thought it, but, they stayed quiet.
Harriet immediately started asking questions, obviously wanted to know what it's like being older than I am.
I bite my knuckle, trying to keep from crying. She's not facing me, so I drop my head onto my knees. I feel Harry's hand on my shoulder. It's removed and I'm pulled up. He takes my arm, running with me out of the room.
"I WANT COFFEE!!" He shouted back into the room.
Once he thought we were out of sight, he slowed to a walk, making sure that Harriet definitely couldn't see us.
He pulled me to the side of the hallway, wrapping his large arms around me. And, for the first time in a year and a half, I broke down in front if someone.
No more strong Zayna. No more fake smiles. Just sobbing, hard. I could barely breath. It felt like I was suffocating over the weight if everything around me.
The sad looks from the people waking around us only made me cry harder. And, the sniffles from above me let me know Harry wasn't much better.
I felt like death would just be easier.
And I hated it.
Liam's P.O.V
"Parties were never my thing." I chucked, sliding back in my chair.
They were hard, uncomfortable maroon plastic things that I slowly became used to. The conversation fell away as Harriet watched the snow fall from behinds us.
"I'm going to die." Her words echoed around the room.
I didn't know how to respond. It wasn't a question I could answer. A true one, as well. "So am I."
"Yeah. But I hope you never have to go through this much pain." Harriet laid down, pressing the white button, easing some of the pain.
"You could let go..." I choked.
"Are you telling me to kill myself?" She laughed, shaking her head.
"I hate seeing you in pain." I reach forward and held her small hand.
"I'm fading. Each day gets harder. But, I can't tell anyone. Everyone is not emotionally secure enough. I think you can handle it, though."
"Don't stay here for them. If you need to let go, do it. I don't want you in pain, anymore. You don't deserve it." The tears flowed silently at this point.
"Go get everyone. Quickly!" She ordered.
I stood up, collecting Harry and Zayna from the hallway and running into the cafeteria to get everyone's parents. They had become like a support group for each other. I found that tragic and sweet at the same time. We all ran back to Harriet's room.
We stood around her, waiting for something, anything, to happen.
"I've always wondered what my death would be like. I always thought my kids would be here. But, I'll take what I can get." Harriet chuckled.
Her mother let out a horrid noise, like air escaping a balloon.
"I love you all. And we had a good run. Harry," She looked over at him. "Good luck at Uni, next year. Take good care Of Zayna. Liam, Harru might need assistance."
She spoke to everyone standing in the room, hoping that they'll remember this forever. Zayna was the only one left.
"And, Zayna," She turned towards her. Zayna grabbed her hand. "Please. Stay strong. You're the only one left. You're the Betty White of our Golden Girls, or any direction. You need to remember you took this broken building and built her into something spectacular. You've helped me become this weird, wonderful person. I couldn't imagine ever having a life without you in it.
"You are one of the best friends I've ever had. I really appreciate all the times that we've spent together. And, remember. We can walk in any direction, but we'll always come back to each other. I hope we can all sing together again, one day. I love you."
Harriet put out her free hand, placing something in Zayna's other hand. She laid back down and closed her eyes. The heart monitor stopped beeping, blaring out a cry if warning.
And just like that, Harriet was gone. I watched as, through the commotion, Zayna opened her hand, staring at small objects Harriet had just given her.
It was the four other any direction bracelets.
___________
A/N
It's currently 3am. And I'm crying. This chapter means a lot to me soooooo.... I hope I made you cry.
It was very emotional. Love you guys!
~Tay >•<