11

Most pastas who don't have real, living forms (as is the case for most ghost pastas) will have what's called an "Immortalis form."

An "Immortalis form," is a physical/somewhat physical form that the pasta inhabits when they do not have a physical form of their own. Normally taking on the appearance of what they looked like when/before they died or what they choose to present themselves as.

Immortalis forms usually have some sort of prolonged injuries that stay there even after they've died. Age and appearance can also differ and may not be what they looked like the day before they died, and can even be from years earlier.

If the pasta is non-human then their appearance will usually depend on what type of non-human pasta they are. Some pastas feed off fear and thus will make themselves look terrifying on purpose in order to do so.

In most cases, non-human pastas with Immortalis forms can usually change their appearance at will but usually stick to one or two main forms. However, most ghost pastas do not have this ability, but their physical form can alter under certain circumstances.

(2021 Edit: Wow... I wrote a lot. But I think this explains, for the most part, why ghost pastas look the way they do and how their forms work in general.)