Chapter 5

Eyeless Jack's POV

I slinked through the woods, keeping to the shadows. Slender wanted me to go investigate this strange howling we heard last night.

It probably wasn't a big deal, but if I was honest it did sound stronger than the usual average wolf howl. Jeff arrived at the mansion yesterday, his arm wrapped tightly in a blood-stained bandage.

He went missing months ago and to see him back at the mansion shocked us all. Jeff didn't talk much about what happened, kind of kept it to himself. I didn't blame him, though. I prefer to keep confined because in the end, everyone lets you down, so why get attached?

An abrupt noise snapped me out of my deep thinking. Whipping my head around to the noise, I crouched down, gripping my scalpel tighter. Heavy footsteps pounded through the woods, snapping twigs in its path.

I bent down in the undergrowth, looking out between two thorn vines. A snarling wolf creature with fresh blood spattered on its muzzle and fur was tearing through the high grass. Scars showed clear on its flank and snout, its ears were torn with blood trickling down. It gnashed it's dagger-like fangs, growling menacingly.

It's eyes were jet black, no iris, no pupil, no nothing. I shifted positions, trying to get a better look. The wolfs ears swerved, obviously detecting movement. I froze. It growled, revealing its blood covered teeth.

Pulling out my scalpel, I readied myself to fight. I wanted the element of surprise, but that was already out of the window. The wolf crouched, about to jump in the air. Slender owed me big time. It launched in the air, landing squarely where I was hiding.

I rolled out of the way before the wolf's weight could crush me in the bush. Salvia dripped from its jowl, a mixture of blood and spit. I leaped to my feet, advancing toward it. The wolf crouched, revealing its bloodied spine. This thing had been in some brutal fights. I lashed out, attempting to slash its muzzle.

Unfortunately, it dodged and returned my blow with a hefty swipe to my knees. I tumbled to the ground with a grunt, seething with anger.

I sprung to my feet, missing its attack by an inch. While it was gathering its wits from its attempted tackle, I jumped on its back, scraping its spine with my scalpel.

It hissed in pain, bucking its legs and snapping its jaws. But I wouldn't lose my grip. I realized how much bigger it was than a regular wolf as I was trying to wrestle it to the ground.

It's struggling became more desperate, twisting its head around to try and bite me. I continued to slash merciless blows on its flank and back, blood spraying on my blue mask.

It finally fell to the ground with a last attempt to shake me off. It huffed. I lifted my scalpel, about to deliver a killing blow.

But, right before I could slice its throat, it was engulfed in silver flames. I jolted, scrambling back to get away from the creature.

I could hear bones cracking and the flames hissing until the fire faded into thin air. Where the wolf used to be, a young woman laid limp, with various wounds on her body. Slender was gonna be stunned.

***

Sorry for the short chapter but I'm sure you'll live. If you enjoyed then vote or.. something like that.

Thorn, Out