Chapter 28

"You alright?" Jeff asked. I blinked a couple times, trying to slow my breathing. The darkness was close. Too close.

    "Yeah, I'm-Im fine.. but how are we going to get inside?" I asked. We were standing in front of one of the main entrances, watching the workers exit with advanced weapons I had never seen before.

    "Maybe there is a another entrance toward the back." Jeff said.

    I thought for a moment, then opened my mouth to ask a question. But Jeff was already slinking off toward the back.

    I growled quietly but followed, checking behind my back every now and then. Sure enough, when we got to the back, there was a door.

    We summoned up our courage and sprinted across the open, diving into the shadows as soon as we got to the cover of the wall.

    I jiggled the doorknob, and thankfully it was unlocked. I slowly pushed it open, the loud creaaaak making me cringe.

    Fortunately no one was occupying the room at the moment. It seemed like we were in some sort of testing room. There was a metal table with straps in the middle, with needles and different types of mixtures all on the counters.

    I shivered. I hadn't been inside the building in what felt like forever.

    "I'll start pouring the gasoline in this room. You go and do the same somewhere else." I nodded, heart pumping.

    I heard footsteps rushing down the hall, so I waited until it died out before I pushed the door open.

    I was standing in an open hallway, no one in sight. I didn't like being exposed at all, it felt extremely unsettling. As I walked down the hallway I heard loud cheering in the room beside me.

    Memories flashed through my brain, causing my breath to speed up. The darkness. Alone.

    I blocked it out of my head. No, not right now. I scolded myself.

    I continued to walk until I heard some footsteps coming down the hall. My body went paralyzed for a split second but I sucked it up and hurried as quietly as possible to the end of the hallway where a door awaited me.

    I opened the door swiftly, turning around and shutting it. I was in another testing room, except this time there was a shocked nurse staring at me with wide eyes.

    "It-it's.. its y-you!" she pointed at me, her hand trembling.

    Great. I took an aggressive stance, walking toward her with a glare that dared her to move.

    She opened her mouth to scream, causing fear to burn beneath my skin. I quickly charged at her, dropping the gasoline bottle and ready to slap my hand on her mouth and kill her.

    Unfortunately I was too late and she released a blood curdling scream that could shatter glass. It was only a matter of time before people were rushing in to her aid.

    "You're going to regret that." I hissed, shifting into my wolf. She screamed even louder, falling into her butt and scrambling backward.

    What a baby! I thought.

    I pinned her to the ground, ripping her throat out in one swift motion and cutting off her annoying scream. Just like I indicated I heard footsteps running down the hall toward the room.

    I quickly grabbed the gasoline from the ground, pouring it all over the floor and frantically patting my pockets for my lighter.

    The door busted open, and immediately I was met with surprise-filled gazes. They froze for a second, as if they couldn't believe it was me, then started yelling orders that I couldn't quite catch.