Chapter 13

"Must've been some sort of hallucination." Jeff concluded.

    "I didn't know they were so.. vivid." I puffed.

    We were sitting by the fire, and we had just finished eating. I told him what happened, but he seemed just as clueless as me.

    "Jeff?" I asked, leaning back into my hands.

    "What?" he answered, still sharpening his knife and sounding uninterested. But I knew he was listening.

    I didn't want him to get aggravated, this was one of the rare occasions of him being.. nice? If that's what you would call it. I would say it was more like not trying to hurt me.

    "How did you end up in the.. the place that we-you first escaped from?" I asked, trying my hardest not to press his buttons.

    "Long story short, I was on my way to complete a mission and I was walking down the streets. I heard someone scream. So I went to see what was up and then yeah.. Woke up in hell." he told me.

    Instantly I realized that scream could have been me. I was about to say something, but thought better of it. He probably would have blamed me for getting kidnapped.

    "What is it?" Jeff huffed, most likely noticing my thoughtful facial expression.

    "Just thinking." I shrugged, "So what are we going to do tomorrow?" I changed the subject quickly.

    "We're gonna try and find the mansion. Easy." he explained. I wondered if he actually knew what he was doing. We stared into the flames in silence, both deep in our own thoughts.

    After a minute or so, I felt Jeff's eyes boring into my skin. I ignored it until I started getting uncomfortable. So I turned to meet his gaze and see what was up. He looked away.

    "We gotta get that collar off you," Jeff sighed, "without your.. ability, you're helpless."

    "I'm not helpless!" I snapped. I actually was without my other spirit, but I refused to admit that.

    "You ran from literally nothing and pretty much tackled me in fear." Jeff scoffed.

    "But that was actually scary!" I insisted, "If you saw it, you would have been just as bad as me."

    "Okay sure, whatever you need to tell yourself." he said. He shuffled closer to me, knife still in hand.

    "You sure you know what your doing?" I asked nervously as he sat behind me. I sat up.

    "Your fine. Now quit being a p*ssy and let me try to get this damned collar off." he growled.

    I resisted the urge to insult him back. I honestly didn't want to argue. Plus, this was the longest we've talked without getting into an argument.

    Jeff slid his fingers beneath the metal collar, tugging on it slightly. I tipped backward a little, straining to stay balanced and not to fall into him. That was the LAST thing I wanted.

    He put his hand on my back to keep me from falling into him, and removed his fingers from under the collar.

    "You see anything that could take it off?" I asked. The collar was rubbing my neck raw, and I could wait for it to be gone.

    "Nope.." he trailed off and went silent as he continued trying to find anything to take it off.

    I felt a little awkward, to be honest. He's never been that close to me before and I really just wanted this to be over with.

    "I think I found something." he said after a minute.

    "Really?!" I asked excitedly.

    "Yeah really, now shut up so I can focus."

    I went quiet, resisting the urge to punch him in the face.

    "Don't flinch." Jeff ordered, getting even closer.

    I got slightly nervous, but I steeled myself for whatever he thought might make me flinch.

    I felt a cold blade slide under my collar. In order for it to fit he had to tug back on the collar harder, causing me to lean into him farther.

   Can this just be over with? I thought, trying to ignore the awkwardness.

    "Okay, there is a small space that my knife can fit through. I'm going to try and pull it through and see if it comes off." he explained.

    "Will it shock me?" I asked.

    "Hopefully," he responded. I could just hear the smirk in his voice. I would have just loved to smack him in the face.

    The collar choked me from the pressure, and I heard a, zing! kind of noise.

    The collar came off, and I fell right onto Jeff with a gasp.

    We both froze instantly, comprehending our position and what had happened.

    "G-get the hell off of me!" Jeff fumed after a second of silence. I immediately shot up, scrambling away as quickly as possible.

    "Di-" I began, but he cut me off.

    "Shut the hell up." he hissed, looking away from me and snatching his knife up from the ground.

    I slammed my mouth shut, crawling over to the other side of the fire. After a minute he turned and faced me once again, his gaze cold and menacing. I flinched internally.

    We were both silent for awhile, probably thinking about the same thing. The only noise that could be heard was the crackling of the fire under the night sky. I still couldn't believe I fell back onto him. I wanted to sink into the ground and die.

    Why me? Why? I thought.

    I sighed and continued to cringe as I thought about the incident.

    After a few minutes of awkward silence, I started to doze off. My eyes got heavy and I found myself curling up by the fire. I closed my eyes, falling into a nightmare-infested sleep.

***

Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter. Vote if you did, or just do whatever I don't mind lmao.

Thorn, Out