Chapter 18

I was sprinting in the forest, trying to get away from the monster chasing me from behind.

My heart thudded on my chest at such a speed it took my breath away.

I went faster. I could just feel the breath of the monster on my neck. No matter how fast I ran, it was always behind me.

I leaped over a fallen log, and I bounded farther into the forest. I heard an ear piercing screech from behind me. I flinched, losing my balance and tripping over a root that jutted out from the ground.

I yelled out, thrashing my arms and bracing myself. But I never hit the ground. Instead, I found myself falling into a black void.

I smoothly landed on my feet, unable to see a single thing. From above I could hear the angry shrieks of the thing that was chasing me.

I glanced around, trying to make sense of where I was. My knees were shaking and my fear was still fresh.

Ahead, I saw a small beam of light slicing through the dark. Assuming it was a way out, I followed it.

It felt like I was walking for hours, but I finally made it. I looked up at the source of light.

The light came from a strange symbol. Its size increased, giving me the full view of it. The light coming from it blinded me, but I couldn't look away.

The symbol was vaguely familiar, but I couldn't quite bring myself to remember it.

The light suddenly switched off, but I could still see the outline of it. Darkness swirled around it, and I started to feel a strong urge to turn and run. But I couldn't.

The darkness stopped for a split second before bolting straight at me. I didn't even have time to flinch before it plunged inside of me.

I screamed. Images of the fights I had been through flashed through my head, while sadness, fear, and loneliness clenched at my heart. It felt like invisible claws were compressing my lungs.

Being in the darkness scared me. I didn't want to be alone. Tears streamed down my face, and I fell onto my knees.

I could see things from my past flit through my mind from the corporation. I couldn't handle it. They left me in the darkness. They made me lonely. They tore my happiness away.

I clenched my fists, sobbing to the point where I didn't have anymore tears. I could feel the pain of the darkness inside, trying to escape.

Why me?

I sat bolt upright, my face wet with tears. I was trembling uncontrollably, bathing in my own sweat.

"You must have some f****ed up dreams." I heard Jeff's raspy voice say from the other side of the room.

"I need to go outside." I immediately answered in a determined manner. I needed to find something, I just wasn't sure what. I needed to.

"What?" he asked, probably trying to catch up and comprehend my situation.

I got up without answering, about to leave his room.

"Wait, I'm coming with you." he sighed, and I heard his footsteps come my way.

"Since when do you care?" I snapped, opening the door and quietly tip-toeing down the hallway.

"Well for one I can't sleep. Second, if you die, Slenderman will kill me. So I might as well." Jeff whispered from behind.

I didn't respond, I just nodded and jogged quietly down the stairs. They creaked slightly, but thankfully it wasn't enough to wake anyone nearby.