Chapter 29

There is some explaining in this chapter. I recommend not skipping it :)

***

    I didn't understand why I was crying, he never cared for me. In fact, he hated me. But I guessed it was just that we had been through too much for it to end like this.

    "Offenderman! Do something!" I pleaded. He seemed completely stressed.

    "My magic might not work!" Offenderman fretted. I shook my head in disbelief. It felt like a cactus was lodged in my throat.

    "We have to try!" I said, fighting the tears. Despite my attempts a few ran down my cheeks. I hated crying.

    "If I'm going to do this, I'll have to take some of your life." Offenderman said darkly. I froze.

   Do I seriously want to take some of my life just to bring Jeff back? I thought. He was always so rude to me, he never listened, he didn't care. But, he had saved me more than once..

    "What do you mean by that?" I sniffled, wiping the tears from my face.

    "It'll take a year from your life span. In the end, it might not even work at all and it'll just waste a year of your life." Offender replied, looking grim. My heart sped up, palms sweaty.

    What do I do? What do I do? I kept repeating that question over and over again in my head. If it didn't work then a year of my life would disappear.

    "Okay.. but hurry." I answered quietly. I could feel the fear crawling up my throat. Either I wasted a year, or Jeff would come back.

    Offenderman nodded and looked at me in the eyes, lifting his hand and resting it on my heart.

    He told me to close my eyes and I did. I squeezed them shut, trying to calm my breathing. I felt a weird sensation start to get pulled from my body, like my soul was being drained out of me.

    I opened my eyes again when the strange sensation went away, and I gasped quietly when I saw what Offender was holding. Between both of his hands was what looked golden smoke swirling round and round.

    "Are you positive you want to go through with this?" Offender asked. I nodded slowly, feeling my strength dissolve.

    He took a deep breath, focusing on Jeff's limp figure. I fell onto my butt, as if the feeling in my bones had been removed. Offenderman pressed one hand onto Jeff's wound, and the other onto his heart. They glowed gold for a second and Offender pulled away, the golden smoke gone.

    I watched intently, not even daring to breath. We were both completely silent, the only sound being the hissing of the fire as it was put out by the firefighters nearby.

    A minute passed. My hope started fading away. Tears slowly trickled down my chin, and I wiped them before they could drip to the ground.

    Sadness curled in my stomach, along with grief. I put my face in my hands, trying my best to cry quietly.

    There goes a year of my life down the drain. I thought. There goes a year of memories I could have made.

    I crawled over to Jeff, still trying to keep my tears at bay. I wasn't going to cry.

    I can't believe it. It felt like I was in a nightmare, a very vivid one. I begged myself to wake up if it was.

    "Wha-wha?" I heard a raspy, groggy voice say. I lifted my head from my hands and blinked, releasing a couple of tears to clear my vision.