XVII.

Three weeks ago.

Isen watched in awe as John and Seraphina guided Delta out of the classroom.

Elaine gasped as Seraphina's freeze wore off on her, her eyes full of malice and terror as her body restored its normal color.

"Dude...." Blyke said, "Who is that...?"

"Delta. The new student. She said she has psionic abilities. Dude, that ability's on par with Seraphina's time manipulation." Isen said as he walked out.

"Yeah, no kidding."

"Isen."

Blyke and Isen turned around to face the disembodied voice, which matched to Arlo.

"I need to talk to you." He glanced at Blyke. "Alone."

Blyke slightly nodded and walked away.

"Arlo. What's up?"

Arlo stopped at a secluded side of the hall and crossed his arms.

"I'm aware you've come acquainted with the new student, Delta, right?" He asked.

"Y-yeah. What about her?" Isen asked nervously.

"And what do you know about her?" His cold eyes pierced through him. Isen felt a strong obligation to tell Arlo.

"She was homeschooled her entire life. She has a step mother, but she never told me anything about her biological parents. She's very guarded about her past and seems uncomfortable when I ask her about the intricacies about her abilities." Isen replied truthfully.

"Hm. The facts line up. It's unfortunate that Elaine failed to see her abilities."

Isen's eyes widened.

"H-how did you hear about that....???" He demanded in shock.

"I'm the one who told Elaine to do this. This would have been successful if Seraphina didn't intervene, but if Delta's able to evoke a fearful reaction from students on her second day at Wellston, then her ability must be powerful." Arlo said. "And I intend to see it. Call her and request a study session."

"A-Arlo, I don't think this is a good idea-"

"I don't think I asked for your opinion, Isen." Arlo's glowing eyes threateningly gazed through him. "Tell her to meet you behind the dormitories."

Isen's hand uncontrollably shook as he reached for his cellular device. He had trouble navigating through his contacts because his hands were incessantly shaking. He found Delta's name and let his thumb hover over the call button.

But before he could press it, Arlo clamped his hand down on Isen's shoulder.

"Make it sound convincing. Don't let her suspect anything."

Isen nodded his head slowly and pressed the call button, clearing his throat to keep his voice even.

"Delta! Are you okay? I saw you walking out with John and Seraphina and-"

Was I speaking too fast? He thought immediately. It seems reasonable to be worried after what happened.

"It's okay, Isen. I'm fine. What do you need?"

Delta's voice sounded so assuring. She was such a sweet, cute, and caring girl. She treated Isen selflessly with her endless study sessions and her charitable treats when they went out.

He didn't want do this to her. He knew it was wrong to do this. But if Isen didn't follow Arlo's orders his head would be served on a platter.

"I...uh...need some more help...um...studying."
Isen replied shamefully.

I'm so sorry, Delta. Please forgive me, he thought sadly.

"O-okay. Um when?" She asked innocently.

"Right now. Please. If possible. Meet me at the back near the dormitories."

Isen deplorably hung up.

"What now?" He asked weakly.

"Track her." Arlo said.

Isen's eyes began to radiate a dull orange. Arlo followed him as Isen forcibly tracked Delta through the school, following her distant orange silhouette walking towards the dorms. Unbeknownst to her, he noticed a group of four students tailing her the entire time.

Oh no, Isen thought in horror. This can't be good. This is how he intends to see Delta's ability? By forcing her to use it?

They watched her walk into the alleyway for a short time. Isen began to feel more guilty the longer she waited. He could tell Delta wanted to leave, but she was patient.

But the worst part of this was that Isen was never going to come.

"Here they come..." A dark smile emerged on Arlo's lips.

Isen disdainfully watched as the four students closed in on Delta. Despite the distance, he could tell they were confronting each other. Delta's stance was instinctively squared; she looked so terse yet nervous.

"Interesting..." Arlo's dark smile never wavered.

Delta was adept in using her abilities. Despite being outnumbered, the group could never touch her. He watched in fear as she unleashed strong bursts of red energy against the attackers.

"Leave. Me. Alone!"

Delta unleashed a strong wave of crimson energy, officially knocking out the students. Low murmurs arose amongst bystanders as she unsteadily swayed on the grass.

"Delta!"

Isen unthinkingly ran towards her and caught her against his chest before she could hit the ground.

"I'm fine...i'm....okay." Delta replied lethargically. Her gray eyes attempted to focus on him but failed.

"Like hell you are! You can't even stand on your own!" Isen looked up, slightly shivering at Arlo's glare. "We need to get you to doc."

He tightened his grip on Delta's waist as he regretfully started towards the infirmary.

As they walked, Isen felt a heavy guilt settle in his chest. He felt bad for Delta. She looked so worn out, wobbling heavily as she walked. Blood trickled from her nose in a consistent manner and pattered onto the floor.

She doesn't deserve this, Isen thought glumly as he led her into the infirmary.

"Hang in there," he uttered softly to Delta's barely conscious body to the infirmary.

This was a mistake, Isen thought dreadfully. No doubt this was a mistake. What was she thinking? A god-tier coming to Wellston....especially at a time where someone like Arlo is a King?

You should have never come here, Delta. :;