XXXIII.

Fwoom!

I shuddered at the noises exchanged between the fight, varying between constant explosions and frantic footsteps. My body felt paralyzed with fear as I heard the noises steadily grow louder.

"You'll have to try harder than that."

"Psh."

I slowly opened my eyes and watched John's whirlwind propel him above Arlo. It began to whirl faster and grow thicker as Arlo's eyes began to glow.

My eyes widened.

"No!" I cried, unthinkingly sprinting in his direction, "You can't beat him! Stop...!"

As John's whirlwind rapidly torpedoed towards Arlo, I jumped in front of him as he enclosed his yellow barrier around us.

"What are you doing...?!" Arlo yelled in shock. "You're going to get hurt!"

"You're one to talk....!"

Wisps of red licked the surface of the yellow barrier, reinforcing the durability of Arlo's shield. I grunted as it grew brighter, narrowing my eyes in determination.

"Here he comes...!"

Aargh!

I winced and collapsed, my eyes widening at the single claw that pierced through both layers of our shield. Pain diffused across my chest as I coughed a small bit of blood.

No way.....he pierced through it despite my ability enhancement for Arlo's barrier...?! If it weren't for my ability enhancement, John would've completely shattered the shield...!

"Ugh...!"

Blood sprayed from John's arm as his fist collided with the barrier. Arlo let down his barrier and seized John by the collar, throwing him backwards away from us.

Before he could move, Arlo immediately took this opportunity to form a barrier around John's body, shrinking it down on him at a rapid pace.

A black barrier suddenly emerged beneath the surface of Arlo's shield, preventing it from crushing John. He began to attack various areas of the walls of the barriers with full force, each hit leaving him injury free.

"H-he's barely taking any reflective damage...." I commented in horror.

"Tch. Thanks to my ability." Arlo retorted before baring his teeth. "Delta," he said darkly, "Get out of here before you get hurt."

"No..!" I cried. "I'm not going to run!" I whirled around to him angrily. "This is your fault...!"

"Dammit! That's not the issue right now! He can copy abilities! If he gets ahold of yours, he'll--ugh!"

Arlo's body was suddenly knocked backwards as John lunged at him. Before I could get to him, John and Arlo's barrier engulfed my vicinity, entrapping me in a small space.

"Ugh...!"

Beneath the surface of the barrier, I watched as John threw Arlo against the surface and deck him in the face, throwing a good few punches to weaken him up.

"John, STOP...!" I screamed and helplessly pounded against the inside wall of the barrier, unable to activate my abilities.

John seized Arlo by the collar as his glowing eyes landed on my face. I flinched at his expression and held my arms up in a defenseless manner, my hands unceasingly trembling from his terrifying expression.