XXX.

"Ugh, that's nasty."

I puckered my lips disdainfully at the syrupy tonic sliding down my throat before discarding the cup in the bin.

"It'll help with the pain," Doctor Darren said as he studied me. "I haven't concocted a tonic to replenish your energy reserve. However, the pills should retain it and lengthen your stamina. Have you been taking them?"

"Yes." I made a face as I recalled the PTSD of taking horse-sized pills during my suspension.

He narrowed his eyes, unconvinced my answer.

"Delta, don't lie to me. If you still don't feel well enough and I let you back onto campus, Headmaster will serve my head on a platter. Those pills are integral for your recovery-"

I cut him off.

Before I could go back to Wellston, Headmaster Vaughn requested that I see Doc for a follow up on my condition to see if I was healthy enough to go back to school. It was like an entrance exam based on my health.

"I promise, Doc. I've been taking them." I smiled childishly. "I'm as healthy as a horse."

I wasn't lying either. Miss Rose and Irel practically shoved the pills down my throat everyday.

Doc studied me reluctantly before sighing.

"Alright then. Don't do anything physically strenuous. Your body needs to ease back into using your abilities after being dormant for a week." He said.

"Okay." I scratched my head nervously.

Technically, i've been training what John's taught me for this whole weekend, even though I wasn't supposed to. I think i've gotten the hang of using my abilities again, even if I didn't have enough stamina.

"You're free to go," Doc said and dismissed me.

I jumped up in an animated motion.

Yes! I'm home free!

I yipped in excitement as I exited the infirmary, inhaling a gust of air as I looked down the cavernous hallway. It's only been a week since i've stepped on campus, but it feels like its been a millennium after being trapped at the mansion for so long.

"Delta?"

"Eh?"

With my bag in hand I whirled around to face John and Arlo. I felt enveloped by John's aura, much more potent with the bonding technique I used. It was somewhat intermixed with curiosity and excitement, perfectly balanced in the air around me.

Suddenly, I furrowed my eyebrows as I digested the sight in front of me.

Wait....John and Arlo...?!

"A-Arlo...? J-John...?" I froze, blinking a few times.

I couldn't believe my eyes. Arlo and John? Together? It was strange to see them as mutual acquaintances. This was probably the first time i've seen them together without them threatening to kill one another.

John hugged me gently.

"When did you get back?" Arlo loomed over me. His arrogant aura shadowed my bubbly mood as his eyes pierced through me.

"Today," I replied firmly, determined to not let him stir me. "Doc cleared me to go back to class."

John was unusually cheerful. It somewhat bothered me to observe such an uncharacteristic action (around Arlo at least). Arlo wasn't particularly.....ecstatic. Why did it feel so off to me?

"So," I said, raising a brow at Arlo, "what are you two doing together?"

I wasn't usually one to pry into private matters unless necessary, but if it was concerning John then I wouldn't hesitate.

"Oh! Arlo invited me to run some errands. Wanna come?" He offered, his golden eyes alight with excitement.

Before I could reply, Arlo spoke.

"John, she just got back. I think it'd be best if
we let her settle back into her dorm." He replied abruptly and clamped a hand down on his shoulder, making John flinch a little.

I narrowed my eyes. It was such an unnatural movement. Arlo doesn't "clamp" his hand down on peoples' shoulders.

There's something fishy going on here....

"Yeah....." My eyes flickered to Arlo's unreadable expression. "But before you two go, I have to discuss something with Arlo. Do you mind leaving us?" I glanced at John.

"Not at all. See you later!" He waved.

We watched him walk away until he was completely out of earshot from us.

"What do you think you're doing?"

Arlo's eyebrows furrowed deeper at my hostile tone.

"What are you talking about?" He uncrossed his arms.

"Last time you two were in a room, you both had each other by the neck. And suddenly you're all buddy-buddy now? What the hell is that?" I questioned accusingly.

"Well, after the intended Queen was suspended for a week, I took it upon myself to protect John while you and Seraphina were gone." He leaned closer to me, placing his hands against the wall beside me.

I pressed my body against the surface of the wall. My face was radiating with heat at the space he enclosed me in.

"I-I wasn't suspended...! I was sent home for health reasons!" I cried defensively, flustered by the summary of his response.

"For exacerbating your ability and nearly destroying an entire mall."

"Th-that's not...!"

"That was careless of you to do. Not only do you harm yourself in the process, you also let the culprit get away. In addition, you hurt Wellston's reputation over an insipid pursuit." He scolded. "If anything, I did you and Seraphina a favor. But despite this, you still aren't satisfied. You're exactly like John." He snapped coldly.

He stared straight through me.

Arlo always had this look whenever he talked to me. It was piercing, uncomfortable-as if he were searching through me and breaking me down piece by piece. It was a mannerism that was mostly conveyed through his steel blue irises, always looking down on me as if i'm....i'm weak.

I curled my fists and inhaled, regaining my sense of confidence and flushing out my initial embarrassment.

I'm not weak.

"Don't try and change the subject, Arlo." I replied firmly. "I have every reason to be prodding through this. Doing me and Seraphina a favor....? That's bullshit. You wouldn't lift a damn finger for anyone except yourself, unless you're using someone for your own personal gain. So don't try to belittle me with your condescending spiel when you don't even know half of what happened last week."

He looked taken aback, his face inches away from mine. Arlo pulled away from me with a hardened stare as I shook off the crimson glow emulating from my eyes.

"John may not understand, but I can see through your crappy schemes." I added darkly.

"But jf he gets hurt.....you're the first person i'm coming after." :;