XXI. (Part II)

Delta.
Three weeks later.

"Delta?"

I jumped at the sound of Irel's voice, embarrassed by how such a tone so soft could startle me so easily.

"Eh?" I stumbled stupidly as I felt the warmth of red splotches ascend up to my cheeks.

"Are you alright? You've been fidgeting with your lips." His silvery tufts of hair fell over his face as he cocked his head adorably.

I pulled my hand away from my lower lip, my fingertips stained with plum hued lipstick. My hand lowered to the linen napkin lain over my lap as I shakily wiped my fingers onto the white surface. Despite the tingly sensation residing on my lips, I resisted the urge to touch them to prevent any suspicion from arising again.

"I-it's just, i'm not used to wearing makeup." I stuttered and smiled awkwardly at Irel from across the table.

Which was half was half true, I guess.

"Dear, you look lovely tonight." A softer, disembodied soprano caught me in a trance as I matched it to Irel's mother and my adoptive mother, Rose Windsor.

Irel looked like the perfect carbon copy of his mother, embodying the masculine features and boyish attitude that he took from his father. Miss Rose shared the same physical attributes as her son, with the cut of her dress accentuating the gleaming, straight tresses falling down her back like a silvery waterfall, and breath taking amethyst eyes that made me dizzy every time I looked at them. She was so beautiful it made my throat tighten.

Miss Rose pressed her cool, porcelain hand against my face. My cheeks puffed against her palm as I smiled weakly.

"You're sweating, Delta." Her beautiful features contorted into worry as she gently pressed the back of her hand to my forehead. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah." I smiled uncomfortably and looked around the dining area. "It's just....so strange to be back home again."

Which, again, was half true.

The modern yet minimalistic style of the mansion never ceased to amaze me. Most of the furniture and color in every area was comprised of white, which made the enormity of the room appear open and bigger. It was something I never got used to, although I was raised here for most of my life.

"I understand." She smiled and pulled away before shifting her attention back to her original question. "I assume school's going well for you?"

"Very well. The courses you recommend are rigorous but are worth taking." I replied diligently as I watched the waiters pour from our enormous kitchen to set our dishes on the table.

"Oh yesh," Irel chirped happily, his mouth full of steak, "She wuz awso promoted to Ace."

Miss Rose's eyes widened at this statement as I avoided her stare. I tugged on the silk of my dress uncomfortably.

"N-no!" I interrupted and glared at Irel. "Not promoted!"

"Okay, not promoted." He swallowed and nodded. "But on her second day at Wellston, the King invited her to sub in as Ace for Turf Wars!"

I glared at him.

"Awe!" Miss Rose squished my cheeks. "Taking after Irel, aren't you? I'm so proud of you!"