XIX.

"John..?!"

I sputtered his name mindlessly, perplexed to see him at such an unusual time. Just my luck, I thought in awe.

The muscles in his arm flexed as he held a heavy load of trash by the drawstring. His eyes scanned the vicinity before widening at me.

"Delta...?" John carelessly threw the trash next to the can and rushed over to me. "W-what happened to you? Are you alright?" He asked in a fast breath as he noticed the scrapes on my hands and knees.

"I was going for a run and....I tripped. I tried to use my healing ability but I don't have enough energy." I winced as I attempted to move my leg. "I think my ankle is sprained. I can't get up." I admitted.

"Crap." He said as he scanned over my leg.

Why did he look so worried? It was just a mere ankle sprain. It's not like I was bleeding out.

"Thank god I found you." John said and immediately scooped me in his arms.

I felt my cheeks burn at the sudden contact. His arms didn't cave under my weight as he carried me into his house.

"Y-you don't have to. I don't really want to take up-"

But he didn't let me finish.

"I'm not going to leave you injured on the sidewalk in the dark. It's really no trouble, Delta."

John gently set me on the couch and handed me a cup of hot tea as he scoured around for his first aid kit. I observed the room as I admired the pristine cleanliness. For some reason, I didn't peg him as the type to be such a neat freak.

My eyes fell onto the entertainment stand holding a impressive flatscreen tv. Beside that was a varnished wood frame, holding a photograph of a younger John and another man that strongly resembled him, presumably his father.

So he lives with his Dad, I concluded and looked around the room for more photographs. There were only photographs of either John or his dad, and some recent ones of Seraphina and John together.

Hmm, I thought as I revised the pictures. Nothing of his mom. But it's not my business anyways.

"Here." John gingerly propped my foot on the coffee table. I sighed as the cold seeped comfortably into my ankle and counteracted against the hotness of my skin.

"Thanks."

His eyes peered down at the scrapes on my body.

"These aren't too bad," he said and pressed a doused gauze of hydrogen peroxide onto the scrapes of my palms.

I jumped a little at the sting before he wrapped my hands and bandaged my legs. My body began to relax as I downed the rest of the scalding liquid in a rush.

If he lives with his father, then I don't think he'd be too happy to come home and see his son with a girl.....alone.

I felt a crazy head rush as I steadied myself against the arm of the chair. John immediately stood up and steadied my shoulders to prevent me from going any further.

"Woah, woah, where are you going?" He asked.

"I really appreciate what you've done for me, John, but it's getting late and I need to get back to Wellston. Plus, I don't think your dad would be too happy to see me here." I said as we both glanced at the photograph perched on the entertainment stand.

"What...?! There's no way you can walk in this condition, and you're right, it is late. I can't just let you walk back to Wellston alone." He said almost abruptly.

"But what about your dad-"

"He's overseas right now for his job. There's nothing to worry about, Delta. Please, stay for the night. I insist."

I glanced at the couch and almost relented as I sat back down and elevated my foot. I know if I were to get up again, I couldn't resist John in the physical state I was in, and his insistence would only escalate.

"So, what were you doing running out so late? You know that going out alone this late at night isn't safest time, especially for you." John's arm was stretched across the back of the couch. His finger tips gently thrummed against the surface rhythmically.

I felt a sudden pain in my chest again at thought of Isen's betrayal. Even though I promised myself I wouldn't think of it anymore, every moment of Isen's memories cam flooding back into my mind. I felt moisture uncontrollably escape my eyes. I tried wiping them away quickly, but John was still able to notice.

"Are you okay?" He asked. "I'm sorry, I didn't know your injury caused you that much pain. I have Tylenol or Advil-"

"It's not that." I shook my head as I wiped away my tears in frustration.

This pain that was inflicted was far more hurtful than a measly ankle injury.

John was silent as he waited for me to elaborate. I felt my lip tremble as I resisted the urge to cry again.

"Isen...." I croaked, "Our friendship was fake.
He made some kind of pact with Arlo and manipulated me."

I felt more tears escape my eyes.

"To put it simply, I was being played by Arlo all along, and had no inclination." :;